A newbs first try

backer

Greenie
Dec 3, 2006
A newb's first try

Hey guys i would like to introduce myself, i am new to metal detectors but have been reading the forum for about 7 months now.Anyway i decided to give it a try to help lose a little weight and just get outdoors.I did a lot of research of old maps from my area and found enough old home sites to last me a few years.The metal detector i am starting out with is at least 10 years old(whites coin master 6000 given to me by a member in a club i am in) and i will be replacing with a ace 250 soon because the whites will pick up a nail at 2 feet deep but not a quarter if you hold it under the coil.Anyway here is one home site i found and some stuff i found just searching around.

Attachments

• P1010002-1.jpg
    P1010002-1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,076
  • P1010007-1.jpg
    P1010007-1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • P1010021-1.jpg
    P1010021-1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,085
  • P1010030-1.jpg
    P1010030-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,049
  • P1010032-1.jpg
    P1010032-1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,065
Upvote 0

PATreasureHunter

Mar 22, 2007
Lititz, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: A newb's first try

Welcome to Treasure net! great old finds...and I would CERTAINLY recommend the ACE 250. I love mine, and it has never let me down. That looks like an EXCELLENT spot. Bets of luck, and rememeber to post all those great pictures you will find!!! Happy Hunting!

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Welcome to T-net backer, I was given a 5000/D a few years ago and it works great. Just takes some getting used to LOL. While your waiting on the ACE try messing around with the adjustments, you can download the instructions for that detector from the Whites web site. At least It may improve your finds and keep you going. Not that theres anything wrong with what you got there, Most of my days produce the same!!LOL.

kenb

R

RUDY2003

GREAT PICTURES AND GOOD START. I LOVE MY ACE 250 AND YOU WILL TOO.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

melcome from mass,, by lookin at the site........you will do well......... ;D

OP
OP
B

backer

Greenie
Dec 3, 2006

Thanks guys! Believe it or not the whites 6000 was brand new,the guy never used it after he bought it.I played around with the setting but i think the problem comes from one of the knobs.It turns but i think it isnt actually turning anything on the inside and if when swinging it i touch something agianst the disc it loses all setting and i spend ten minutes getting to a working fashion agian.Thanks for the encouragment.

The home site pictures is one of 4 buildings and about 200 yards from that spot is a spot with another 6 building sites.All date to before 1930.I found a broken toilet with the date 8-13-1926 stamped in the bottom of it.....cant wait for the ace 250 to get here!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Looks like you have a great site and obviously have a great detector in mind as well. So glad you decided to get started! Welcome!!

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

go replace the knob and innards...."Potentiometer" with the exact same one.....they don't like corrosion.........

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

My first detector was the coinmaster 6000 di series 3 20 years ago! It was erratic also....Sometimes it worked fine other times it was like you said I could wave clad under it and nothing! I still have mine its in a closet! <Doubt it works anymore was left in hot/cold garage for years. I would update. ;)

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Welcome; I'm a newbie too. I've read a lot of reviews and the Ace 250 had a lot of good reviews...those that have it love it.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome, Backer, to TNet. Really like your finds so far...especially the milk bottle, bit,and horseshoe. You should have fun really searching your site well. Keep digging!

HH

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

Welcome backer! Boy that pic brings back some memories. I hunted for a lot of years with Whites units, including the 6000 DI. Didn't really wait long enough to get to know it, before switching to Garret for a few years. The 250 will serve you well.

Good luck.............HH

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to TNet Backer. Nice bunch of finds there. I'm pretty new to the hobby as well. Great bunch of guys, gals and kids on this forum. I've learned a lot from them. I too am waiting on my ACE 250 to arrive. Ordered over the weekend from Kellyco. 90% of the reviews I read on it were positive.

HH and look forward to seeing your finds from that "target rich" environment.

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2

Welcome Backer
looks like a good site, neat finds and keep us posted.

HH
Joe

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

I would suspect that the potentiometers (knobs) may be loose and turning the entire structure not the inside. It may have moved some wires around inside as well. It is hard to get anything like this repaired these days. Most stuff has either replaceable modules or units. Try to find an amateur radio group in your area. Many of the old timers cut their teeth on HeathKit and can still fix up items like you have. It should get you through until the new unit gets here and can then be a back-up detector.

Welcome to the group. Hope your finds are good and plenty.

Daryl

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome & HH,

Fossis..............

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe

great spot to start.. looks like it will keep you busy for awhile.. there is alot to find out there.. keep the stories and the pics... ace250 is a good begginer.. my son has one.. but if you like the hobby.. you may want to start saving now.. you can sell the 250 pretty easy... when your ready... welcome...

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow, I used to use the exact same detector! My dad gave it to me and he had bought it new in the mid to late 80s. I never could find anything over 4 inches with it, maybe 5 in the right conditions. I also recently got an Ace 250 in late January and absolutely love it! It has picked up a lot that I missed with my older White's. You'll love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread