Platinum Treasure!!! One Troy Once!!! Unique!!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final Edit 1/30/2015 : The test results are in: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/448872-platinum-fork-test-results.html

I found this fork a few days ago along with some other less expensive treasures (mostly various grades of silver). Completed my research today and have come to the stunning conclusion that this is in fact... a 95% pure Platinum fork - solid Platinum with a gold plating - made by Cartier. This very well may be one of the most expensive pieces of cutlery in existence. Considering it weights 30.9 grams (1/5th of a gram shy of 1 Troy Ounce) I think it may very well be the single largest piece of platinum ever posted to this website. It's certainly the biggest piece of platinum I've ever found! I'm still shaking from the rush!! :headbang:

DSC08636.JPG DSC08638.JPG

Here's the story. Over the past week I've been pounding that old site by the shore again and again but this time using the new ExCal-II. It was a bit of a learning curve as I'd only used my new ExCal-II once before this. What a difference. The sandy/salty soil was no problem for the ExCal-II and the deep signals were coming in loud and clear. Ended up finding a ton more artifacts (silver, copper, iron, more globs of lead) - all much deeper finds than my other detector was able to handle. No more 18th century pepper pots unfortunately (I was hoping for a trifecta). I did however find, among other things, a sterling silver mechanical pencil (Victorian-age from the looks of it), an 80% silver olive fork, three hand-carved sterling spoons, a pewter dish, some broken pieces of porcelain, glass, and even what looks like to be a piece of an old shoe. I will post all these finds and more later in one massive post once I'm sure I've unearthed everything.

Anyway, this post is about the crowning jewel of the finds so far - the Platinum fork. I dug it up shortly after finding the sterling mechanical pencil. When I first saw the platinum fork it was all black just like all the silver in that area. I rubbed the dirt off (I know, I'm still kicking myself for doing such a stupid thing) and it revealed a golden luster - I assumed it to be a gold plated fork of either silver or some other cheaper metal. Into the bag it went and the hunt continued. At the end of each day I would clean and photograph my finds. I noticed the "950" hallmark during this time a few days ago.

The "950" is stamped in an "upside-down shield". I first saw this mark when I examined the fork the day I found it. I assumed it to be a sterling mark for 95% silver. I checked online a few times but really I had pretty much concluded it just had to be a type of silver. Today I did some in depth research and discovered that there is absolutely no sterling mark that resembles this hallmark. I did further research of other precious metal hallmarks besides silver and was stunned - the mark was listed as one of 4 types of platinum hallmarks. According to my research this platinum hallmark represents the second highest purity of platinum - 95%!! There is a crown above the "950", a little symbol that looks like an "R" directly above the "950", and a little "M" to the right of the "950". On the right side of the fork it says "Made in France" and on the left side it says "Cartier". There is also what appears to be some kind of etched serial number, possibly "1040". The piece weights 30.9 grams - almost exactly one troy ounce making it worth just about $1,200 in melt value.

The unknown: How old is this piece? I've had trouble dating this piece as hallmark charts by Cartier don't appear online in detail.

One thing is for certain Cartier is not known for cranking out platinum cutlery. I have a feeling this may have been a custom made piece. If so it may be unimaginably rare and expensive. My feeling is that it is worth way over its melt value of $1.2K - perhaps its worth $5k+ who knows? I will have to get it professionally appraised. Until then the hunt continues!!! :D Arg! Now with all this new swag I feel like a true pirate! :skullflag: :blackbeard: :laughing7:

Edit: Okay, it's officially confirmed. What I initially thought was an "R" stamp is in fact a "PT" stamp, "PT" means Platinum! "PT 950 M" is a high-strength Platinum alloy. The M stands for the 5% other metal added with the Platinum most likely Ruthenium! I'm on cloud 9 right now! :D

Platinum stamp along with hallmark chart:
Fork Hallmark.jpg appendix2_1.jpg

Cartier markings along the sides:
DSC08643.JPG DSC08646.JPG

Fork on my scale, note 30.9 gram weight:
DSC08647.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 53

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT pro and XP Deus
Very cool find. Surely there weren't too many people who could afford something like that. I wonder if Cartier could possibly provide you details from their archive. It would be great if you could identify the original owners.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, it reminds me of the type of folk used to eat a starter like Prawns.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is very interesting, a great find.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure fits right up there in the unique column! Congrats on your 30.9 of platinum fork!
I'm voting Banner .

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very neat find.... there are other pieces marked .950 that are silver?

950 Silver
Silver of 95 percent purity is relatively rare because it is a nonstandard alloy. Technically it is not fine silver because it falls considerably below 99.9 percent fineness. This means it is sterling silver, but more pure than most sterling silver. 950 silver will be softer than most sterling silver and will tarnish more easily. This means it is unlikely to be used in most industrial applications. Most 950 silver is used for jewelry.
Cartier marketed for other companies .950 silver...French Export Silver Monaco Variation Flatware Set by Puiforcat, retailed by Cartier...

from the web...https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15411/lot/6534/

from the web...Berry & Co.
American sterling hand made and hammered service fro 12 X 6 plus 5 servers in the Karen pattern by Old Newbury Crafters of Newburyport Massachusetts and retailed by Cartier of New York City, c.1970.

I do hope yours is Platinum.... Great find!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
That is very cool. What really stands out to me and lends support for its authenticity is how crisp the hallmarks are and that if it where any other metal, those would certainly be worn. Thanks for sharing!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would they make a platinum fork with gold plating? Gold plated items are usually junk metal underneath the plating. I know nothing about platinum, except that it wouldn't need to be gold plated to make it look beautiful.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

950 Silver
Silver of 95 percent purity is relatively rare because it is a nonstandard alloy. Technically it is not fine silver because it falls considerably below 99.9 percent fineness. This means it is sterling silver, but more pure than most sterling silver. 950 silver will be softer than most sterling silver and will tarnish more easily. This means it is unlikely to be used in most industrial applications. Most 950 silver is used for jewelry.
Cartier marketed for other companies .950 silver...French Export Silver Monaco Variation Flatware Set by Puiforcat, retailed by Cartier...

American sterling hand made and hammered service fro 12 X 6 plus 5 servers in the Karen pattern by Old Newbury Crafters of Newburyport Massachusetts and retailed by Cartier of New York City, c.1970.

.950 is not rare for French Silver. Here is a butter knife with the blade marked "Houssel" and a French hallmark for .950 Silver. I actually pulled 2 of them out of a pile of silver plated junk a friend had set out in his yard sale bucket for .25 cents each because he had searched it all for Sterling and missed the well hidden French markings. I never had the heart to tell him... The marking on the top indicating .950 is what I found cleverly disguised in the handle just below where the blade is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 434
  • french-silver-1838-1962.jpg
    french-silver-1838-1962.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it...:)
Absolutely friggin kick ass.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you raise the bar after finding 2 Colonial era Sterling Shakers? Find the Platinum cutlery they used during their picnic. AMAZING!! Great find and research identifying that Jewel! This hobby ROCKS, and your finds prove that. CONGRATS!!!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find. I've never found any platinum so far but maybe one day.

congrats.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great find ! The 950 mark within that very distinctive "house shape" profile , clearly this is a platinum mark not a sterling
mark as some here are suggesting . I too am confused by the gold wash/plate - Even if used for fish , prawns , or caviar - if solid
platinum , I don't think there would be any of the objectionable tarnish associated with sterling and other silver alloys which was the
reason for that sort of plating on certain utensils in the first place . Some in depth research on earlier Cartier flatware should help
to nail this down . If Sterling , the weight of a utensil that small would be nowhere near a full troy ounce - (more like 15-18 grams)
with a specific gravity of 21.4 platinum would definitely meet that criterion . I'd like to see the aforementioned
"hand carved" (hand engraved ?)sterling spoons you found , and the Victorian pen . BANNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

950 Silver

This is exactly what I thought for a long time, but you can't argue with the hallmark. It clearly says "PT 950" PT=Platinum and "950" in an upside down shield means "95% Pure Platinum". Furthermore this thing is HEAVY. It is extremely heavy for its size. It is also very hard suggesting it is a high tinsel strength alloy of Platinum. Most likely Platinum and Ruthenium.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wouldn't put silver plate over gold, so why would you put gold plate over platinum? Doesn't make sense to me...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly what I thought for a long time, but you can't argue with the hallmark.

Actually, you can argue with ANY hallmark or other stamping. I found a "gold" chain last year that was marked "14k". It was clearly fake, since the "gold" was flaking off the chain.

I have no idea if this fork is real or not, but people have been counterfeiting items for hundreds of years. Just because it's stamped "Cartier" doesn't mean it's a genuine Cartier anything. The finish doesn't look right to me and again, why gold plate something made of platinum? And why would something gold plated come out of the ground black? I've found a few gold plated and gold filled items and they all came out of the ground shiny. Just my take on it...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is exactly what I thought for a long time, but you can't argue with the hallmark. It clearly says "PT 950" PT=Platinum and "950" in an upside down shield means "95% Pure Platinum". Furthermore this thing is HEAVY. It is extremely heavy for its size. It is also very hard suggesting it is a high tinsel strength alloy of Platinum. Most likely Platinum and Ruthenium.

I hope for you... I will put in a call to Cartier so we can be sure :)

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, you can argue with ANY hallmark or other stamping. I found a "gold" chain last year that was marked "14k". It was clearly fake, since the "gold" was flaking off the chain.

I have no idea if this fork is real or not, but people have been counterfeiting items for hundreds of years. Just because it's stamped "Cartier" doesn't mean it's a genuine Cartier anything. The finish doesn't look right to me and again, why gold plate something made of platinum? And why would something gold plated come out of the ground black? I've found a few gold plated and gold filled items and they all came out of the ground shiny. Just my take on it...

If you could only hold it and see it for yourself you would know it was real. Platinum is a very heavy metal, if this thing was made out of any cheaper material it would weigh half what it does. Furthermore this is most probably a custom-made piece. Maybe someone wanted a very strong expensive fork way back. Since pure gold would have been too soft for use as a "prawn fork" maybe they choose instead to make a very strong platinum fork and then have it washed in gold. This way it has the luster and value as gold while being strong enough to withstand heavy use without being damaged. Finally, everything coming out of this dig site is black - I don't know why - even the silver coins and silverware is black.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, everything coming out of this dig site is black - I don't know why - even the silver coins and silverware is black

Possibly from a fire? That might explain why it was black. I sure hope it's real. That would be a definite banner find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread