Feeling much better now !!!!

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Been laid low with man flu for a couple of day's. Mr's robfinds came in this afternoon with a small ultrasonic cleaner. Apparently their on offer at Aldi for £20. She explained she'd bought it to clean her jewelry. It certainly does that, after a few minutes it came out gleaming. Of course I had to try it on some finds. Initial experiments were not good. It does remove crud, but would take forever on a copper coin (the instructions do say that you can add detergent to improve cleaning). Anyway seeing how non destructive it was, I decided to try the Henry V111 half groat I posted recently. The thing with the later coins of Henry V111 is that the silver was badly debased (giving him the nick name copper nose) more copper than silver in these coins. If you try to clean badly debased coins using electrolysis, you quickly ruin them. I put the coin in the ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes, and then gently cleaned it with a tooth brush. The coin had in fact cleaned up a little. I started to look at examples on the net. Quickly noticed one for sale on Baldwins web site. Apparently very rare due to the pellets in the band of the crown. Looked at mine, and four pellets in the band of the crown. Theirs a poorer example than mine, on sale at £500. Full id Henry VIII half groat, Canterbury mint 1544-7, S.2378, N.1852. ref Baldwins coins FG 45471. Just took another picture under house lights, so blurred, but you can clearly see the pellets in the band of the crown. Going to look through collection for more debased hammered silver coins, you never know.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6103.JPG
    IMG_6103.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 10

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome when you find something on a treasure that you didn't know about before. Especially when that finding makes it more valuable

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Awesome when you find something on a treasure that you didn't know about before. Especially when that finding makes it more valuable
Cheers Ahab8, whether it's worth £500 I don't really know. Got to take dealers prices/descriptions with a pinch of salt. Nice though to find a good method of gently cleaning debased hammered silver coins.:thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the fantastic find!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congrats!

Glad you are feeling better too!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread