I Spend most of my time on my knees

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you are all aware, I am a woman that metal detects and have been doing it now for about a month. I haven't left the confines of my neighborhood yet as we have an 1860's farmstead with a cemetery, a school, Tennis, Basketball ......you get the picture. I went to the basketball court which lies approx 30 feet from the cemetery ( split rail fence with One family headstone) and spent 2 1 1/2 hours working this small area between the court and the cemetery. I was thinking I needed practice siphering the sounds and signals of my detector. I am getting good at listening but I spent so much time on my knees that the neighbors are all coming out like flies.

I found $3.14 all modern but not a one zincoln (yaay). My plugs are about centered now and fit back in neatly. I do have one question though I had one signal when I passed over the area it belled twice. All directions. It read 5 cents. It came up as a screw top for a bottle. Why does it ding twice?:dontknow:

I would have uploaded a pic but you all don't want to see stupid modern stuff dug by a woman. I will dazzle you latter.

Upvote 14

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whadifind- that's exactly what I was looking for. Makes sense. So slowing my pass down it should go away.

Well, I'm not enough of an expert to say. But, my impression would be that a really slow swing would give the detector more time to give a double bleep not less.

Try setting up your detector for an air test and try different speeds of moving targets across the coil from different distances. You should be able to duplicate the event.

Keep at it!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the edges of the basket ball court. Lots of times, players peel jackets, shirts and throw them on the ground at the edge of the court. Rings and necklaces end up there. Again, check the hole twice. Last week I pulled a 1944 half dollar out of a hole, refilled and checked again and pulled out a 1950 half. Good Luck. steve

Found the ring with the eagle around a B-ball court.Gotta love shirts versus skins. 100_4301.JPG

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with an ace 350, and as the others said, scan the hole again, the more u use the 350 the more you will understand what it's telling you, a real quick bing bing means small objects like coins, a pause in between sounds usually means bigger targets, my best advice, dig it all above iron. It took me about 3 months of dig it all to get a good understanding of the different tones

Best of luck to you!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, depending on the target/depth/and speed of swing, you can actually pick up the signal twice. You're hearing when the
target passes under one side of the coil and again when it passes under the other side of the coil.

In any case, it's a good practice to dig it all while learning. WTG!

I agree with Gary, this is the proverbial double ding. I'm still learning, all according to where I'm hunting, I dig everything lol.

The post title is incredibly suggestive rofl. Always dig those signals. Sometimes it can be a ring laying flat, two coins - point is you never know until you dig. I routinely detected a spot and always skipped over a one square foot area that gave me some jumpy signals simply dismissing as trash and iron. Eventually, curiousity got the best of me and I dug up a pocket spill of coins, a knife, and money clip.

I read the title and figured you were just praying for treasure! lol
I also have found on allot of the sites I hunted, after pulling target out of the ground it helps on later hunts to find more targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions