I Spend most of my time on my knees

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you are all aware, I am a woman that metal detects and have been doing it now for about a month. I haven't left the confines of my neighborhood yet as we have an 1860's farmstead with a cemetery, a school, Tennis, Basketball ......you get the picture. I went to the basketball court which lies approx 30 feet from the cemetery ( split rail fence with One family headstone) and spent 2 1 1/2 hours working this small area between the court and the cemetery. I was thinking I needed practice siphering the sounds and signals of my detector. I am getting good at listening but I spent so much time on my knees that the neighbors are all coming out like flies.

I found $3.14 all modern but not a one zincoln (yaay). My plugs are about centered now and fit back in neatly. I do have one question though I had one signal when I passed over the area it belled twice. All directions. It read 5 cents. It came up as a screw top for a bottle. Why does it ding twice?:dontknow:

I would have uploaded a pic but you all don't want to see stupid modern stuff dug by a woman. I will dazzle you latter.

Upvote 14

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you took the bottle cap out did you check the hole or plug again? Sometimes theres more than one goodie in there!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of those screw tops ring up nice and solid.....just comes with the territory...but then again some times they could be a gold ring.

Regards + HH

Bill

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings come up as bottle caps sometimes! When in doubt, dig! You never know!
Welcome to the team!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey teacher teacher ...the 350 is a coin magnet... unless its not a coin!... coin-sized targets will give you the double bell signal on occasion, even if its trash.... if this site was called "trashnet" I would have had like 45 banners by now. hang in there, we are rooting for you, oh, and when it warms up, you will be more familiar w/ your machine, and you will be more efficient.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I find gold it was in the nickel signal range but gold runs from below nickel all the way to about the wheat penny range so if you want to dig all them targets that's up to you....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Shallow bottle caps insist to me they are wonderful coins till dug. I get too excited to count I guess cause it seems more than two dings on a tight wiggle after hitting one.
Your 350 will turn up some great finds. Get that pesky trash out of the way and sometimes get a better target under it.
Don't clutch your chest in excitement; you might shock the neighbors.:laughing7:

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The post title is incredibly suggestive rofl. Always dig those signals. Sometimes it can be a ring laying flat, two coins - point is you never know until you dig. I routinely detected a spot and always skipped over a one square foot area that gave me some jumpy signals simply dismissing as trash and iron. Eventually, curiousity got the best of me and I dug up a pocket spill of coins, a knife, and money clip.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As you are all aware, I am a woman that metal detects and have been doing it now for about a month. I haven't left the confines of my neighborhood yet as we have an 1860's farmstead with a cemetery, a school, Tennis, Basketball ......you get the picture. I went to the basketball court which lies approx 30 feet from the cemetery ( split rail fence with One family headstone) and spent 2 1 1/2 hours working this small area between the court and the cemetery. I was thinking I needed practice siphering the sounds and signals of my detector. I am getting good at listening but I spent so much time on my knees that the neighbors are all coming out like flies.

I found $3.14 all modern but not a one zincoln (yaay). My plugs are about centered now and fit back in neatly. I do have one question though I had one signal when I passed over the area it belled twice. All directions. It read 5 cents. It came up as a screw top for a bottle. Why does it ding twice?:dontknow:

I would have uploaded a pic but you all don't want to see stupid modern stuff dug by a woman. I will dazzle you latter.

How deep was the cap? If it's near the top it will sometimes give a double or echo beep due to it's such a strong signal. A suggestion for you is to lift the coil higher and take a reading this should get rid of double signals and sometimes just by lifting the coil and rechecking a strong bad signal will break up more. Anyways happy hunting

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum!

May times bottle caps appear as good targets so you have to dig. In new areas or areas of interest I dig everything. It appears you like digging, so you cannot go wrong. As stated above by "Park Pirate" gold hides in the trash and nickel region, so you have to dig a lot of junk to find gold. The AT Pro can help by giving a low-high-low sound or with iron audio the tone will break up, to know for sure, you have to dig!

Happy hunting in 2015!

Regards,

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings come up as bottle caps sometimes! When in doubt, dig! You never know!
Welcome to the team!
That's what I say,if not sure dig it anyways.I found allot of stuff doing that I wouldn't have otherwise.not everything is gonna sound textbook right off the bat,speacialy the smaller deeper stuff .The machine i use only goes by sound but I always dig those sharp double pings.Sometimes they are something good ,sometimes not.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always double check the hole. I dug a wheat penny up last summe set my pin pointer in the hole when I was trying to clean the wheat penny off and it starts making noise. I investigated and dug up a 56 Rosie. Lesson learned I always double check my hole now.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the edges of the basket ball court. Lots of times, players peel jackets, shirts and throw them on the ground at the edge of the court. Rings and necklaces end up there. Again, check the hole twice. Last week I pulled a 1944 half dollar out of a hole, refilled and checked again and pulled out a 1950 half. Good Luck. steve

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't really add anything, but I will reiterate what others have said about digging everything and ALWAYS scan the hole again. I found a second Mercury by doing just that!
Catchy title. We need more ladies like you, lol!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, depending on the target/depth/and speed of swing, you can actually pick up the signal twice. You're hearing when the
target passes under one side of the coil and again when it passes under the other side of the coil.

In any case, it's a good practice to dig it all while learning. WTG!

OP
OP
shoague

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have learned my lesson well about that. Always check after. Thats how I found my first spill

OP
OP
shoague

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teacher Teacher says Hey back BWD. Thanks

OP
OP
shoague

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Steve -After it stops snowing I plan on finishing with the edge. I have been Detecting close to the cemetery hoping if I find anything it would be older

OP
OP
shoague

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whadifind- that's exactly what I was looking for. Makes sense. So slowing my pass down it should go away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions