Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 months ago I earned a permission from a lady who was selling her house, an old beauty, corner lot, shade, clothesline....drool. I followed up a week later and her dude chased me off, what a tool. Today I was scouting out new turf, and I see a painting crew at this same old house, getting ready to do their thing, place has been empty now for a month after being sold. The kid in charge of the crew says OK...HA!!!I beeped like a champ, pulled out a ridiculous amount of clad, two Rosies, a little silver ring, and my best find of the day...a 1927 Ft. Myers dog tax tag!!!:headbang: Oldest one I ever found. I am going to follow up with the dog tag guy in the token/tag forum and let him know about it too.. I hope this proves to be the oldest on record for my area.
005.JPG
006.JPG
001.JPG

Thanks for looking!:hello:

Upvote 24
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt! The dog tag is a very good find!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old dogtag Dave,cangrats!on the silver too.the ring is a sweet little find as well.-HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old dogtag Dave,cangrats!on the silver too.the ring is a sweet little find as well.-HH

Yea, when I got home and cleaned up the tag I was jazzed beyond all get -out!!! I found a 1954 tag in my yard when I was a young detectorist(last year):laughing7:....have been hoping to find one older. If I had to guess, this dog was the original pet of the house, as it was built in the 20's...just wish I knew its name:dontknow:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Congrats on the silver scores. Thanks for sharing.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess getting to hunt that house makes the finds even better after being chased off. I worked on getting permission at a great looking old place for months. I must have gone by there a dozen times trying to catch someone home. Finally one day I stopped and there was the owner! It turns out he was only there on weekends and after we talked a bit, he said I could hunt but he preferred I do it when he and his wife weren't there. Wonderful! I left my little calling card with my number, in case he had any questions, and drove home. 25 minutes later, the phone rings and it's him. He says he just got off the phone with his lawyer ( oh crap! ) and well, you can guess the rest. Lawyer says because of liability issues, it isn't such a good idea for me to hunt. I still think it was this guy's wife saying they don't know me and why should they let me on their property?
Sorry for rambling, Dave. Great finds! Oldest dog tax tag I have found is a 1970's one.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yea, it sucks when a permission backs out on you

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love the tag and the silver, congrats on finally getting in there

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok..so I get the email back from the dog tag fellows...turns out it IS the oldest known for Ft. Myers!!! My finest moment as a detectorist!8-)

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive learned to not ask for permission until you are ready to hunt it! I got permission for an OLD house in a pasture up the road from me from the owners who live next door. They said sure, have at it. I let them know Id be by in a few days to detect it. The next day, they came by my house and said they have decided to buy a detector and search it themselves! If I had detected it right away, it would have been fine. So, I will no longer ask for permission to hunt a property unless I am going to hunt it right then.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive learned to not ask for permission until you are ready to hunt it! I got permission for an OLD house in a pasture up the road from me from the owners who live next door. They said sure, have at it. I let them know Id be by in a few days to detect it. The next day, they came by my house and said they have decided to buy a detector and search it themselves! If I had detected it right away, it would have been fine. So, I will no longer ask for permission to hunt a property unless I am going to hunt it right then.

That's a cardinal rule, Nathan. If I had not given the owner my phone number, he could not have called me to back out in my instance above too, lol.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see your points..but sometimes I feel like I gotta have faith in my salesmanship, and hope for the best in people. Usually, it works out... if not, oh well.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched the back & forth about asking permissions. The salesmanship, the door knocking, the distrust that prevails in
our society nowadays. I hear lots of good points and different techniques. But, I still have a concern and reservation
when it comes to permissions.

I steadfastly will not hunt anywhere I don't have permission. (Public property is an assumed permission in my book. After all
I'm paying for it too. Even that will pretty much disappear one day too. :( )
But, that's not the point of my post. What I'm concerned about is how, overall, is the concept of our hobby being harmed.
Harmed? Yes, I do think so. If you don't believe me, just ask yourself how you feel about door to door salesman.

So, does that mean I won't ask someone? No. But, I won't be walking up to anyone's house asking if I can dig up their lawn. :)

Don't get me wrong, there are many people in this hobby who swear by the method and I say more power to them. But, I think as
a whole we already fight an ever increasing uphill battle, with perception of our hobby. What with TV shows and people who don't
bother to clean up their mess and those who sneak on places at night to dig. Scavengers!! That's what we are, just ask around.

So, now, to knock on someone's door and upset their daily schedule, just to beg permission to allow this totally strange looking
person, equipped to the hilt, with a knife and a scabbard, backpack & shovel, eye patch, etc. ;) , to dig up their yard. Of course,
with a stranger's promise that if any gold is dug, they'll be told. LOL

It's not an issue to anyone here, yet. But, on top of everything else we're all lumped under another label of "door to door salesman".
I gotta ask myself, is it hurting the hobby? I guess we'll find out.

HH! For as long as we can and have a place to do so.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Allow me to elaborate w/ my technique, which works almost flawlessly...

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
darn...wait for it.......:laughing7:

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I live in an old neighborhood, and on our walks together, or yard saleing, or being in the community, I know all the potential honey-holes within 3 or 4 miles. In talking up my hobby, coupled with my professional career, I have confidence to ask total strangers if I can detect..no worries if I cant, its just the amount of time that I can hunt. I find myself stock-piling permissions, that when I go out, I have choices. Lucky me I guess, too bad I don't live in an older town.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thommo59