sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out in the yard this morning for a quick hunt and found this. It's the first thing of any consequence that I've found with my new T2 as I keep trying to learn the plagued contraption. I don't know a thing about the bullet's type, age, etc. so I need all the help y'all can offer. It's just a shade over .50 so whether it's .54, .56 or whatever, I can't say especially with the heavy corrosion and wonder if calipers would even help. Whether warranted or not, I was real excited to find it. I live in the old part of town, but don't think it saw any action during the CW, although Daddy found the stirrup and cannon ball on a lot a couple of blocks away back in the mid-70s. Thanks, everybody.

bullet.JPG stirrup.JPG
cannon1.JPG

Upvote 2

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A pic of the bullet's base would help. Is it hollow? Conical in the hollow? or flat on the bottom? Def old in my opinion!

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's flat, but I'll be glad to post a picture of the base if you need it.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nah. I can't tell. Flat generally means a carbine bullet if it's old, but it could be modern. Somebody'll tell ya!

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right, I took measurements but I don't know how much help they'll be. I mentioned the heavy corrosion, but not that I had already thoroughly washed it. What you see is all tight patina, so the measurements were all over the place. I took 5 readings of the base and between each of the 3 rings, and averaged each set. The base was most consistent and the average was dead on .5400". Between first and second rings: .5582". Second and third: .5588". Average of all 3: .5523". Thanks again for any help.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your on your way buddy. You'll get that crazy machine figured out. Took me awhile to tame that beast

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yessir, I was about to throw it in the river, but things settled down a little when I put the 5" coil on. I can actually make a little sense of things now. Between the soil and trash, it was about drive me nuts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread