Mountaintop Junk

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Didn't find much today for a long time, digging .22 bullets and shells at up to 9" so far in red clay soil with Teknetics Delta 4000, finally wandered onto a long abandoned campsite and started finding lots of trash, filled up a bag with cans and foil and even an entire roll of aluminum foil (loud signal). Shoved the coil under some stacked up wood and got another loud hit, Dutch oven lid. Well of course I wanted to find the rest of it, but ended up with a stainless steel fork, tent stakes, an aluminum tent pole piece, then finally something good - a very rusted but decent quality French kitchen knife. I restore old blades and bayonets, so it made my day after hiking a couple thousand of vertical feet of slopes and covering maybe eight miles or more. I will post pictures of the knife when I make it pretty again :happysmiley:

frenchdutch.jpg

Upvote 9

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
like the knife and cast iron lid

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes post a pic of the restored knife...8 miles hike, Vertical...That would be the end of life like I know it! Good treasure found hiking...:thumbsup:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, quality products, even after all the years in the ground!
Congrats nice saves!

OP
OP
R

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was so into the zone, found a 1969 penny and was looking for more coins, I didn't remember that I had the car we use to pick up my boy from daycare, my lady needed to use my truck. So she called at 4:30 and asked if I was picking up. I was almost three miles out and 600 ft up from the parking spot, had to run the whole way back down to make it down and to daycare by 5:00. The dutch oven lid really didn't help the situation in the pack very much, felt good to run on such a nice day, 70f in January is pretty nice for South Dakota. Thanks everyone for all the likes and comments on my random iron stuff.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
were any of these cans you mentioned finding steel beer cans(?) - did you know you can dig up brown/unreadable rusty ones and make them readable?

OP
OP
R

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only smashed cans, aluminum era. I do know of an antique store in that sells perfect old cans, huge selection, cheap flat rate price on most all of them :)

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably old tab tops...I paid for my last vehicle with 1930s/40s beer cans I dug....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions