Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got permission from a retired man who is a good friend of ours to hunt his property. He is not sure of the age of his house. He warned us that he finds lots of metal junk every time he digs. We hunted for 1.5 hours and had tons of signals, mostly iron. We found a 1940 wheat penny(a first), not pictured, near the front porch. We did not concentrate around the house as much as I would like. We plan to go back and continue hunting and our friend says he want to come out and join us in the fun. :) He's a great guy! (83 YO)

My question is this: Is it best to hunt this kind of property in "jewelry mode" or "all metal" and just dig everything, which could take years?

Our biggest find was the lid to a 30 gallon drum which I voted to leave in the ground. I was outvoted by my party. :) Is the tiny Swiss flag piece off a Swiss army knife? It is double sided. Or jewelry?

Forgot to add: Owner gave me an old bottle he had found. Unfortunately, it looks like someone put blue paint in it at one time. This is one heavy bottle. (6.5 inches tall) Can anyone help i.d.? Is this a blob top beer bottle? Says "Folger's Bottling Works, Grand Rapids, Mich" Cleaning ideas??

Sorry for all the questions....thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• treasure07 086compress.jpg
    treasure07 086compress.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 397
  • treasure07 089compress.jpg
    treasure07 089compress.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 401
  • treasure07 090compress.jpg
    treasure07 090compress.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 396
  • treasure07 091compress.jpg
    treasure07 091compress.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 389
  • treasure07 094compress.jpg
    treasure07 094compress.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
wow, sounds like you guys will be busy on that farm for a long time and find lots and lots of goodies! Good luck and thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing what else you find! :D

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great finds and a great looking site Michiganne. I'm a sucker for a signal, I almost cant help but dig everything. I cant help on the Swiss flag, I doubt its from a knife if its double sided. Congrats on your finds a good luck on the next hunt there.

kenb

garrettfan2

Jul 24, 2006
dallas ft worth
i would probably dig all signals. you just never know who buried what. have fun, watch for critters and pleeeaase post the great things you are going to find. gf2

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
There's lots of potential there.
The Swiss cross might be a medical pin or something.
Best of luck there!

Smiles!
BDoo

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, if you have a lot of opportunity to return, I'd "cherry pick" in a jewelry or coin mask and then go back in all metal for the relics. Breaks up the day and gives you variety. You could also take turns and cover the same strips working in opposite direcions (always fun to see what was missed).

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
the bottle appears to be a hutchson soda bottle,mines from the 1880s.........if you google it you should find something close. nice bottle

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
Wow- cool spot. The kind of spot you want to go back to for so many reasons- scenery being one of them! I agree w/ charleyp about changing your mode of detecting- so you don't get bored w/ all the iron. I have an iron problem in my own yard, but I switch from one mode to another so I don't go nuts digging nails (I live on the sight of the old town building association...) And if there's a bit of wire still in the top of that bottle (and even if there isn't), I too think you bottle is a 'hutch'. A style of bottle w/ a Grolsch-like(modern beer) bottle stopper w/ wire clamp. They made em real heavy (to keep them from exploding w/ effervescence! :o)
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread