sidewalk strip= 3 silver dimes

alb1

Jan 15, 2014
Weselberg, Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030, my favorite E-Trac & NEL Tornado. Garrett Carrot, (Previously, MXT PRO with D2 and SEF 10x12 coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I returned to the sidewalk strip around the closed school ball field and found 3 more silver dimes, 6 wheaties 41-57 dates, two WA tax tokens, and a 1949 falsa pecunia play dime and a funky medallion that says "Aint it hell to be poor" obverse says "This entitles the bearer 1,000,000 worth if good luck" No idea how old it is. Ive posted a before and after gentle clean of the dimes to show not all silver dimes pop out shiny. All were found between 3-6 inches. I'm about to ask the people across the street for permission to check their walkway strips.

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 142
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 170
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 148
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 130
  • strip.jpg
    strip.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 170
Upvote 15

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love sidewalk strips too. The medallion is very cool

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the silver. Triple play, good show. GL&HH!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the curb strip!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds alb1!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Great detecting on your part!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores! Looks like the area hasn't been hunted before (or if so, only by people cherrypicking the big coins). Oughta be more goodies to be had in the area.

Do you technically need to request permission to hunt the "public right-of-way" strips in your area? I've spent a lot of time reading boring documents trying to get to the bottom of it, and from what i gather, the strips are technically the property of the owner of the lot, but relinquished to the city/municipality as a permanent easement open to access and the use of the public, as well as utility crews and whatnot, of course. Unless explicitly prohibited, I figure that detecting falls under the category of "public use". That said, if the strips are pretty and well-maintained obtaining permission would be the courteous thing to do (I just detect junky/unkempt looking ones anyway) but probably isn't absolutely necessary unless local regulations make it so.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had a very good day hunting and finding all those silvers. Well done!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
The "ain't it hell to be poor" token is cool. You asked about age. While I can't nail down a specific date I can help a bit...in 1896 a popular novel "Checkers: A Hard Luck Story" is published by Henry Blossom. A play version of the book was written a short time later in 1904 . However, the phrase "ain't it hell to be poor" is spoken by the main character, Checkers, in the play version but was not mentioned in the book. The phrase gained applause each time it was spoken by those viewing the play. The phrase was apparently risque to say at the time as some censors banned its use during performances. See: https://books.google.com/books?id=L...=onepage&q="ain't it hell to be poor"&f=false

By the early 1920s the phrase is mentioned in a modern inquiry into the development of phrases in the English language published in book form by noted essayist and scholar of American English, H.L. Mencken. See: https://books.google.com/books?id=X...=onepage&q="ain't it hell to be poor"&f=false

By the early 1930s tokens from cigar shops had started using the phrase. See: http://tokencatalog.com/display_rec...ingAnyWord=&HomePageSearch=&view=All+Listings

If you notice the last entry on the token catalog search, you will see the same "moonface" token you have albeit with a different reverse. The reverse speaks of the New York Michigan Development Corporation indicating the token was good for "20 dollars as down payment" on purchase of a lot for a new development, Archmont.
Archmont was the first phase of a planned housing development near Albany New York, (Watervliet to be exact) and its proposed 3,000 lots. This development's first phase began in 1922 as is now known as Archmont Knolls. See page 3 line 16: http://coloniepedd.org/attachments/planning-minutes/2009-07-28 STENO Archmont Knolls.pdf

Now....what does this have to do with your token presumably found many thousands of miles away? Well, like I said, I couldn't put an exact date on it but I have an example that started at least in the early 1920s and presumably were made for decades afterwards for a wide swath of causes but included that all encompassing phrase about poverty. Based on your wheatie/silver finds....I'd say you have a token from atleast 1930s onward.

Hope the helps.

Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with this snowbound northern boy . Come on spring hurry up

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome finds, love the token too

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those good luck medallions really work you know. And finding one doubles the luck it gives. :D

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread