Possible Shoulder Plate, 1/4 Franc, Louisiana Pelican Cuff, Half Dime, CW Relics!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible Shoulder Belt Plate, 1/4 Franc, Louisiana Pelican Cuff, Half Dime, CW Relics

UPDATE: This brass plate was identified as a medallion from the side of a Mexican War Officer's Stirrup. I had actually dug the broken side of the stirrup, and it is a perfect match with the size and location of the hole to receive the post from the eagle piece. I just never put the two together. See the side of the stirrup on the top left of the post of my finds below. Now I just need to find the rest of the stirrup and the other medallion!

Hello All,

Went out today for what would be a very memorable hunt! Returned to the site where I'd dug a couple of dropped Civil War bullets last hunt, and we actually walked further into a definite CW site. Enjoy the video below:

Shanegalang and I started, and the first thing I dug was an old silver ring, missing the stone. It had a sugar cane root growing through the ring itself when I dug it.

HPIM5060.JPG

Then I managed to dig a nice .69 cal round ball with a big casting seam on it. This was followed by another Maynard Carbine bullet and a dropped, swaged Minieball. :headbang: Shanegalang got a nice cupboard key and a one-piece flower button, and I dug a small, fragile two-piece cuff button that I put in my cotton ball jar and didn't give much thought to... Here's Shang's key:

HPIM5047.JPG

Then I hear him saying "come over here, dude!" and I go running across the field, because I know he's got something great. It was an unusual looking tiny silver coin laying right on top where it had washed out of the dirt:

HPIM5045.JPG

I was originally puzzled by this coin, but once we saw that the edge was reeded, I could rule out 1700s, so I felt quite strongly that it was mid 1800's-ish. :)

Turns out, the coin is an 1845 1/4 Franc. First one of those I've ever seen dug!

100_5778.JPG 100_5776.JPG

At that point, I was saying "My turn!" :D Didn't take long until I had a great signal, which turned out to be a silver dime. An 1899 Barber. Not great repayment for such a cool, pre-CW, interesting coin...but any silver was good silver at that point for me!

HPIM5057.JPG HPIM5058.JPG

We took a break and ate some snacks at the truck. Then we got out butts back out there and kept digging! :headbang:

Shang had a hunch about a little field we'd passed on the way in. So we decided to get in there and try it out. The field was quiet as a mouse. No iron. No lead. No brass. There was one signal in there, and Shang dug it--it was a beautiful 1853-O w/Arrows Half Dime! :hello2:

100_5779.JPG 100_5780.JPG

At this point, Shangalangalangalang said that he was woe out and satisfied with his finds. We said bye and he took off for home. I couldn't let his killer half dime be the last thing dug. It just fired me up too much to see such a nice piece of Old Silver dug. So I resolved to stay one more hour and see what came up. :)

I went back to the original spot and quickly dug a flat button on the very first row...then in that same spot I got a great high signal and thought for sure I was going to dig a silver quarter. Instead, a thick oval of cast brass popped out. I snatched it up excitedly and was shocked to see an eagle and stars on its face!!

HPIM5049.JPG

Folks, this relic is either the breastplate from a horse harness/martingale or a c.1840s Militia Shoulder Belt Plate! I will update this thread once the experts in 19th c. militaria share more information about this find. At that point I decided to call it a day, so I walked back to the truck, digging a thick pack stud from a sword belt rig on the way. :headbang:

HPIM5059.JPG

When I got home, careful cleaning revealed two Awesome surprises. The disc I'd thought was a really low reading flat button was actually a toasted Flying Eagle Cent! I haven't dug many of these over the years, but all of them have been toast--this one included. No point in showing the other side of this coin. Ain't nothing to see! But the style of wreath is certainly FE not IH. :)

HPIM5066.JPG

I also carefully started to clean the little, fragile, two-piece button and was SHOCKED to see that it was a Louisiana PELICAN Civil War cuff button! Not certain that it can be restored, but I'm hoping so. I don't seem to see Pelican cuff sized buttons very often, so I was really happy to dig this!

HPIM5056.JPG

And the Plate... It's bent by the plow (of course!) :BangHead: But it may be able to be straightened. I'll wait for the positive ID of the piece before I take any more action on it. On the bright side, the plate cleaned up very nicely! If anyone has any information about this relic, PLEASE drop me a line!

HPIM5052.JPG HPIM5053.JPG HPIM5055.JPG

Here are the total finds for the day:

100_5781.JPG HPIM5065.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 25
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Gentlemen. The plate is really cool - never saw one like it. As usual the silver coins surfaced. Keep digging and posting - we are frozen solid up here.

I've never seen one like it either. Could be something really good...or just something really odd. But the good news is that it has age and the right design to something good. Sorry about your weather up there. :(

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that Mexi-medallion is a killer find Buck! I've never seen one of those before. And you didn't have a bad day in the coin dept either. Looks like you can look forward to some more high quality digs with that new site. Good luck!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck, I am always amazed at the regularity of your great finds! It is a testament to your dedication, passion, research and blood. sweat and tears. Well maybe not blood. lol. Keep it up my friend.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck, I am always amazed at the regularity of your great finds! It is a testament to your dedication, passion, research and blood. sweat and tears. Well maybe not blood. lol. Keep it up my friend.:thumbsup:

It's tough to stay on top of the research, scouting, narrowing down possibilities, etc. in order to always have a decent spot to dig. Let any one of those things go, and you're out of luck. So it's work--but it's the best kind of work :)

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those find's, BB! Hah! I went out yesterday and didn't find zilch! Did get out Saturday & found a decent piece of Trade Silver, tinkler, musketballs & a nice '59 fattie Indian. By the way, a few years ago I dug a real nice 1845 1/4 Franc on an old cabin site here in Iowa. They must have circulated quite a bit!
Your Mexican War spur is KILLER! Hope you find the rest of it!

Iowa Dale

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the finds keep coming! Congrats on your latest digs BB!! I don't believe I have ever seen a medallion on a stirrup before. I wish you luck in finding the rest!!

IM

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really enjoyed the video and the finds, always do. the ring in a place like, one can only wonder, a soldier's potential gift lost? hope you get a positive id

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those find's, BB! Hah! I went out yesterday and didn't find zilch! Did get out Saturday & found a decent piece of Trade Silver, tinkler, musketballs & a nice '59 fattie Indian. By the way, a few years ago I dug a real nice 1845 1/4 Franc on an old cabin site here in Iowa. They must have circulated quite a bit!
Your Mexican War spur is KILLER! Hope you find the rest of it!

Iowa Dale

Did you find a flying eagle cent along with that 1/4 Franc? I've heard they always travel as a pair. :laughing7:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find a flying eagle cent along with that 1/4 Franc? I've heard they always travel as a pair. :laughing7:
Nope! Found an1827 Capped Bust dime,1839 Half-dime, half a dozen Large cent's.........& one lone '59 Indian! Indian must have shot the Eagle!:tongue3:

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope! Found an1827 Capped Bust dime,1839 Half-dime, half a dozen Large cent's.........& one lone '59 Indian! Indian must have shot the Eagle!:tongue3:

Iowa Dale

Well, it was one year off. :D

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D** ** BB.
It amazes me the amount of nice relics & Coins Yall Find.
Only read the first page of replys,(don;t have much time) but that Eagle & Stars Piece Is the Bomb ! & Very Attractive with it's great Patina & all , I'd def, get that fixed if I knew where to get it done & the Price was right.

2015 has started very Well for U IMO.
Davers

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D** ** BB.
It amazes me the amount of nice relics & Coins Yall Find.
Only read the first page of replys,(don;t have much time) but that Eagle & Stars Piece Is the Bomb ! & Very Attractive with it's great Patina & all , I'd def, get that fixed if I knew where to get it done & the Price was right.

2015 has started very Well for U IMO.
Davers

Great to hear from you, Davers! Thanks for your reply. It's hard work, but so much fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread