Possible Shoulder Plate, 1/4 Franc, Louisiana Pelican Cuff, Half Dime, CW Relics!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible Shoulder Belt Plate, 1/4 Franc, Louisiana Pelican Cuff, Half Dime, CW Relics

UPDATE: This brass plate was identified as a medallion from the side of a Mexican War Officer's Stirrup. I had actually dug the broken side of the stirrup, and it is a perfect match with the size and location of the hole to receive the post from the eagle piece. I just never put the two together. See the side of the stirrup on the top left of the post of my finds below. Now I just need to find the rest of the stirrup and the other medallion!

Hello All,

Went out today for what would be a very memorable hunt! Returned to the site where I'd dug a couple of dropped Civil War bullets last hunt, and we actually walked further into a definite CW site. Enjoy the video below:

Shanegalang and I started, and the first thing I dug was an old silver ring, missing the stone. It had a sugar cane root growing through the ring itself when I dug it.

HPIM5060.JPG

Then I managed to dig a nice .69 cal round ball with a big casting seam on it. This was followed by another Maynard Carbine bullet and a dropped, swaged Minieball. :headbang: Shanegalang got a nice cupboard key and a one-piece flower button, and I dug a small, fragile two-piece cuff button that I put in my cotton ball jar and didn't give much thought to... Here's Shang's key:

HPIM5047.JPG

Then I hear him saying "come over here, dude!" and I go running across the field, because I know he's got something great. It was an unusual looking tiny silver coin laying right on top where it had washed out of the dirt:

HPIM5045.JPG

I was originally puzzled by this coin, but once we saw that the edge was reeded, I could rule out 1700s, so I felt quite strongly that it was mid 1800's-ish. :)

Turns out, the coin is an 1845 1/4 Franc. First one of those I've ever seen dug!

100_5778.JPG 100_5776.JPG

At that point, I was saying "My turn!" :D Didn't take long until I had a great signal, which turned out to be a silver dime. An 1899 Barber. Not great repayment for such a cool, pre-CW, interesting coin...but any silver was good silver at that point for me!

HPIM5057.JPG HPIM5058.JPG

We took a break and ate some snacks at the truck. Then we got out butts back out there and kept digging! :headbang:

Shang had a hunch about a little field we'd passed on the way in. So we decided to get in there and try it out. The field was quiet as a mouse. No iron. No lead. No brass. There was one signal in there, and Shang dug it--it was a beautiful 1853-O w/Arrows Half Dime! :hello2:

100_5779.JPG 100_5780.JPG

At this point, Shangalangalangalang said that he was woe out and satisfied with his finds. We said bye and he took off for home. I couldn't let his killer half dime be the last thing dug. It just fired me up too much to see such a nice piece of Old Silver dug. So I resolved to stay one more hour and see what came up. :)

I went back to the original spot and quickly dug a flat button on the very first row...then in that same spot I got a great high signal and thought for sure I was going to dig a silver quarter. Instead, a thick oval of cast brass popped out. I snatched it up excitedly and was shocked to see an eagle and stars on its face!!

HPIM5049.JPG

Folks, this relic is either the breastplate from a horse harness/martingale or a c.1840s Militia Shoulder Belt Plate! I will update this thread once the experts in 19th c. militaria share more information about this find. At that point I decided to call it a day, so I walked back to the truck, digging a thick pack stud from a sword belt rig on the way. :headbang:

HPIM5059.JPG

When I got home, careful cleaning revealed two Awesome surprises. The disc I'd thought was a really low reading flat button was actually a toasted Flying Eagle Cent! I haven't dug many of these over the years, but all of them have been toast--this one included. No point in showing the other side of this coin. Ain't nothing to see! But the style of wreath is certainly FE not IH. :)

HPIM5066.JPG

I also carefully started to clean the little, fragile, two-piece button and was SHOCKED to see that it was a Louisiana PELICAN Civil War cuff button! Not certain that it can be restored, but I'm hoping so. I don't seem to see Pelican cuff sized buttons very often, so I was really happy to dig this!

HPIM5056.JPG

And the Plate... It's bent by the plow (of course!) :BangHead: But it may be able to be straightened. I'll wait for the positive ID of the piece before I take any more action on it. On the bright side, the plate cleaned up very nicely! If anyone has any information about this relic, PLEASE drop me a line!

HPIM5052.JPG HPIM5053.JPG HPIM5055.JPG

Here are the total finds for the day:

100_5781.JPG HPIM5065.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 25

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering how 1 franc was worth about 20 cents (19.4 methinks) back then, I wonder if the 1/4 franc would have circulated as the equivalent of a half dime? Neat stuff you come up with down there!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering how 1 franc was worth about 20 cents (19.4 methinks) back then, I wonder if the 1/4 franc would have circulated as the equivalent of a half dime? Neat stuff you come up with down there!

It's almost the same size in diameter. Not sure how much silver vs. a half dime, but I imagine this coin circulated as 5 cents. :)

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought it was .835 silver, but coin-in-hand is a fair sight better than a paper IOU so I'd take it (and pay it) as the equivalent of 5 cents if i were around back then. The '53 half dime would be preferable of course though! Keep up the sweet finds, especially those N.O. counterstamped cut spanish pieces!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The rain of silver continues, and the reign of the cane fields too!
The eagle and stars piece is very nice, any conclusions to whether it was from a horse harness or not?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say Shane definitely came to play! You both made some nice finds with the plate/martingale being the find of the day. The ring is my second pick! It has a very nice old look about it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a very rare Francers Banque 5 cent? :)

The eagle relic is pretty cool.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judgin by the last two hunts it appears it's gonna a be a HELLAVA year for you ALL!!!!!!! STELLAR finds BB!!! CONGRATZ and HH!!!!!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing plate, I'm eager to see a positive ID. It's a beauty & definitely worthy of restoration. Also nice going on the coins & pelican button.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Pelican cuffs are few & far between Will. The eagle relic is a possible Banner recovery. Shane is becoming a coinmaster. Stay the course on that site. I know it just killed you with all the rain and not being able to return to the site soon after you discovered it. Been there, done that. WTG my friend, Q.
Thanks for your confirmation on my cut silver on the phone yesterday. It's been over 10 years since my last.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Buck! That plate is killer and I'm dying to see what it is. Maybe this will be the find that changes the Banner rules....I think it's crazy that one person can't have more than one up there. A killer find is a killer find my friend. Looking forward to hearing what the experts say

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds there...love the plate! hope you get info on it...

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Two silvers, one with a Tesoro Cortes, one with a Tesoro Cibola. Need I say I love Tesoro machines?:laughing7: I want to trade the half dime for the ring (if we can get Anthony to come find the stone). We didnt mention the buffalo nickel I dug but then that is almost an embarrassment. Congrats on the cuff button and what ever in the heck that eagle item is. Oh! and it's only January:occasion14:

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have put this thread on my subscription list as I am as intrigued as well to what your eagle find is,it's beautiful whatever it is. Congrats on the silver as well.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on all the great finds and the plate is awesome. Also enjoyed the video.
Dman

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a really killer hunt.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning towards martingale on the brass. Hope to see it up top. Nice recovery on the Pelican. Kinda like a punch in the stomach being the button that it is and finding it in that shape. I'm sure you'd give a hundred other buttons to have found it in perfect shape. Still a Great find and one at the top of my list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread