Early Atmar slave tag.

cbxjon

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Holy Grail of the SC lowcountry. The hand engraved number you can't see in the picture is #214. 20150128_181216.jpg 20150128_181325.jpg 20150128_181356-1.jpg

Upvote 20

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simply put Banner material! Congrats on the tag and full agreement on the Holy Grail find.:notworthy:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's the story ? your first post should say was this found By you ? a Friend ?
found on the Internet ? Found Today ?
last year ? purchased ?
Where.

what is
Atmar ?

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INCREDIBLE find! To me these are some of the most important historical finds there are. It's a reminder of a dark time in our history but an amazing piece. Love to hear more about the circumstances of the find. The Banner find stories are my favorite part. I'll be waiting to vote

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find!!! Banner for sure. The thrill of finding something like that is priceless! Congrats

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner. Tell us more about the circumstances... please?

GL&HH!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a great piece of our history, evidence of how we have evolved as a nation. I will vote Banner if we get concise details of the "find"? What is the story behind this piece?

19cbb

Nov 16, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1800 Atmar Slave Tags: The first verified dated Slave Tag. All 1800 Tags are octagonal, with the occupation, date and engraved number, with "Atmar" silversmith stamp on the reverse. The occupations of "Mechanic" and "House Servant" are known to exist. Note that these do not have the word "Charleston" on the Tag, but are firmly attributed to Charleston by the Atmar stamp. All are rare.
Ralph Atmar Jr. was a Silversmith in Charleston, from 1793 to 1803. From 1797 to 1799 he was in partnership with James Monk: Atmar & Monk. In 1799 he advertised as a silversmith at No. 20 Broad Street. Born 1767, died after 1803, date and place unknown.

1800 Mechanic. #349. Recently sold by me.

1800 House Servant #88: Sold by the late John Ward.

1800 House Servant #170: Featured on the Antiques Roadshow.

Source: Slavery tokens, Slave Tags, Anti-Slavery items, more! Mail bid, fixed-price sales, buying.

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable jon!!!!! Cant wait to see that one in person:) and about as early as u can get. Cant beat diggin when u come home with somethin like that

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the story out jon so i can vote banner man!!

OP
OP
cbxjon

cbxjon

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, I had bought a lot in Elloree SC. After clearing off thirty years of vines and brush, I looked it over with a $20 yard sale Bounty Hunter. The town is only 130 years old. Not a site I would choose to hunt. I found 3 out of time targets. Two flat buttons one pewter. The third was octagon shaped large coat button. rolled up. I threw them in the relic bucket. This was 4 or 5 years ago. A few days ago I dumped out the bucket intent on throwing out everything but the buttons and bullets. When I got to the octagon shaped button saw it had a hole in it. Hot water and needlenose. You know the rest...HH jon

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, I had bought a lot in Elloree SC. After clearing off thirty years of vines and brush, I looked it over with a $20 yard sale Bounty Hunter. The town is only 130 years old. Not a site I would choose to hunt. I found 3 out of time targets. Two flat buttons one pewter. The third was octagon shaped large coat button. rolled up. I threw them in the relic bucket. This was 4 or 5 years ago. A few days ago I dumped out the bucket intent on throwing out everything but the buttons and bullets. When I got to the octagon shaped button saw it had a hole in it. Hot water and needlenose. You know the rest...HH jon

Wow that is crazy. Glad you didn't throw that baby away. Have you detected the property since?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll vote banner simply because there just aren't many of those found and it points to a significant episode in our history. Congratulations.

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
Man, I miss South Carolina. (Born in Sumter) Awesome find!! You should get hold of a better detector and see what you find. Guarantee there is a lot more in that ground than you think.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
as history as it gets

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread