NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this guy under a house today. unfortunately it's broken, but I found all the pieces. It's 9 inches tall, 5 inches across the base. I want to glue it back together. any suggestions on glues? Ideas on age?

jug1.jpg jug2.jpg

Upvote 6

Masterdan407

Sep 8, 2013
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a salt glaze one gallon or 1 quart stoneware jug (Probably a gallon)! Might have had some blue on it, but its probably gone from weathering. Sweet find! Are their any stamps on it? check around the base or by the top on the other side of the handle! I can say its probably mid to late 1800s but without a stamp i cant get too specific with it.

Last edited:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't Know if this is the best way, but I glued a broken plate together that I found in a Civil War trash pit by gently scrubbing the edges of the pieces with a tooth brush and warm soapy water, letting them dry completely, then using super glue. Damn cool find! congrats!

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
You might want to hit up Buckleboy for some info. I remember a post from a few years ago where he found all the pieces of a jug which he glued back together. Sold for a few k's if I remember.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Elmer's makes a white glue for ceramics that worked well for me . . .

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Wash all of the pieces thoroughly and let dry.
2. Determine an order for putting the pieces together by dry fitting the jug together, to allow the last piece to fit (some piece orders, it is impossible to get the last piece in, so don't get screwed)
3. Use normal elmer's glue to put the pieces together ONE BY ONE in the order that you dry fitted the jug together. Hold each pair pieces together for a long time until the glue sets, wiping the excess away from the outer surface of the jug with a slightly dry rag. I like to let each pair of pieces sit overnight before I try to attach the next piece.

I used this method on a stoneware crock that was dug, made banner on Tnet and sold for a very nice sum. The benefit of this method is that it is completely reversible with a water soak. Elmers ain't no kindergarten glue when it comes to stoneware. I have some pieces which weigh 40 lbs and are completely held together with Elmer's glue.

Would love to see a photo of it afterward!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread