🥇 BANNER Yesterdays productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

It's been a very slow January for me as I've only managed to get in about 4-5 hunts which is a sad excuse for someone who's retired and can hunt every day. But my buddy Dan and I finally made it back out yesterday, and we had to brave the frigid low 20s, a biting wind and frozen ground to get in a little swinging. We returned to the spot where we found a 17th century house site in a logged area not long ago. But the finds there were sparse to say the least, so we decided to give the adjacent field another shot. In an earlier hunt, we had found what initially appeared to be a 19th century site on the far side of the field, and that's where I recovered that cool mid-1800s merchant token posted previously. But before we had left that day we started finding a few random, and earlier, targets adjacent to the house site that extended into an unassuming low spot in the middle of the field. Plus we had seen a little brick and heard some iron chirps, so we decided it was worth the effort to give that spot a more thorough look. And it was a good thing we did as we were able to spend the whole day steadily digging targets. Although the colonial coins eluded us yet again, I was quite happy with a 20 button day. And one of them turned out to be a seldom seen patriotic rattlesnake and stars button. That was a first for me, and I've been told these are quite rare. I also dug a solid silver button (oval-shaped) along with a number of other colonial buttons, an early knee buckle, a partially tinned 17th century trifed spoon handle, several lead and pewter musketballs, a cool turn-of-the century gilted locket, and other interesting items. Dan also dug a ton of relics which I'm sure he'll be posting later. Toward the end of the day we expanded our search area and were still hitting on a few random keepers, so we definitely need to make another trip at some point. But we need to refocus on getting into some productive, new sites, and its just a matter of knocking on some doors and catching folks at home. Hopefully we can make that happen soon. Had a fun day Dan - looking forward to next time.

Attachments

• 013115a.jpg
    013115a.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 800
  • 013115b.jpg
    013115b.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 549
  • 013115c.jpg
    013115c.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 574
  • 013115d.jpg
    013115d.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 829
  • 013115e.jpg
    013115e.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 013115f.jpg
    013115f.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 612
  • 013115g.jpg
    013115g.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Upvote 52

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150201_192457.png
    ForumRunner_20150201_192457.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 118

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. At least you're able to get out; too much snow here.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic finds Bill. The Rattlesnake Button is really in very good shape, but that ground must be pretty kind because both yours and Dan's buttons have many exceptionally nice conditions.
The Button has to be Banner just for quality AND what it stands for. I am also curious of the large round object on the bottom right of the first pic.? And the Locket is really great, I think that would neat to find. Could the little oval be a cuff link half? Looks the right size. Congrats again! and the research you did paid off, WTG, both of you.

Last edited:

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations of a great hunt Bill. That Rattlesnake and Stars button is one of my all time favorites. I first became aware of that button in 1992 when I read about one being found in Howard Crouch's "Relic Hunter". If you have the book, it's mentioned in the chapter called "An Interlude in Time". I remember thinking what a cool button that would be to find! Well, six years later I found my first. Ten years after that I found my second. Shortly after that I got the tattoo :laughing7:

Welcome to the club :occasion14: I'm voting BANNER.

Wow! Steve those buttons are fantastic as well, since these are the first time I've seen them and you mention their rarity, I am persuaded to vote banner for Bill. I was already impressed with the meaning to our history and the quality. Nicely done.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope people take the time to read up on this button. That button is so special for what it represents. And much more rare than most GW Inaugurals. The condition is fantastic as well. It truly deserves to be up top and I hope it gets there. I'm just not sure enough people know what it is

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope people take the time to read up on this button. That button is so special for what it represents. And much more rare than most GW Inaugurals. The condition is fantastic as well. It truly deserves to be up top and I hope it gets there. I'm just not sure enough people know what it is
Agree 100%...put it this way...just based on numerical odds....think about how many buttons Bill and I have posted over the years...I would say over 5,000:1 just with the two of us. Please do read the background of this button...this was our country's first attempt at pro independence propaganda

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buttons in pretty good shape & a bonus silver cufflink piece.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Bill!! That button definitely deserved it..Glad people realized what it was..
George

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree 100%...put it this way...just based on numerical odds....think about how many buttons Bill and I have posted over the years...I would say over 5,000:1 just with the two of us. Please do read the background of this button...this was our country's first attempt at pro independence propaganda

The odds are always like that for a good button, and just think of all the buttons you both will dig in total over your lifetime and how many things you will not find. That's the one hope we have here for a GW or snake button, that we dig early buttons fairly steady and just maybe as the thousands come out over the years just one time something like that will show up.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
The odds are always like that for a good button, and just think of all the buttons you both will dig in total over your lifetime and how many things you will not find. That's the one hope we have here for a GW or snake button, that we dig early buttons fairly steady and just maybe as the thousands come out over the years just one time something like that will show up.

Agreed IP, and the same thing can be said about coins.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big congrats on the B&B Bill! (Button and Banner!)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed IP, and the same thing can be said about coins.

I've made the same type of comment about trade silver here... that the one silver brooch my friend found about 12 years ago is a one in a million find... because the three of us have likely dug a million holes to get it, and it was the only one. Next time you want to talk someone out of detecting putting a great find in those terms would surely do it. :)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made the same type of comment about trade silver here... that the one silver brooch my friend found about 12 years ago is a one in a million find... because the three of us have likely dug a million holes to get it, and it was the only one. Next time you want to talk someone out of detecting putting a great find in those terms would surely do it. :)
I've often wondered what the true odds are of finding some of this stuff. Think about how many people are on this forum and how rarely we see certain things. Sure feels good when it's your time

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've often wondered what the true odds are of finding some of this stuff. Think about how many people are on this forum and how rarely we see certain things. Sure feels good when it's your time

I bet many of us can show a good or interesting find that no one else on here has found. That's why it's so interesting to stay tuned in to what everyone is digging from day to day. I know when IH and I are out, especially when we're having a good day, I look forward to getting home to post and to see what everyone else came up with. One day sort of sticks in my mind,getting home to open a message from some guy from Maine telling me he found a tree coin. Whatever!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus muc...

I bet many of us can show a good or interesting find that no one else on here has found. That's why it's so interesting to stay tuned in to what everyone is digging from day to day. I know when IH and I are out, especially when we're having a good day, I look forward to getting home to post and to see what everyone else came up with. One day sort of sticks in my mind, some guy from Maine telling me he found a tree coin. Whatever!

Lol. Funny that day stands out to me too. I selfishly often wonder what the odds are of finding something like that after just a year and some change? Then I wonder what the chances are of it ever happening again? I guess if the answer turns out to be it never happens again in still one of the lucky ones.
Then I see people like you and Bill who have found several rare items and it gives me hope. Every single hole could be the rarest of the rare. That's why we keep going

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. Funny that day stands out to me too. I selfishly often wonder what the odds are of finding something like that after just a year and some change? Then I wonder what the chances are of it ever happening again? I guess if the answer turns out to be it never happens again in still one of the lucky ones.
Then I see people like you and Bill who have found several rare items and it gives me hope. Every single hole could be the rarest of the rare. That's why we keep going

How about only having several weeks in, walking in a field behind the house and digging a Rev War button that was rare enough that the biggest collectors did not have an example, and the books all used the same image, which was from a button owned by the NY Historical society. That was not luck, and I don't believe it was for you either.... meaning I think there is more close, or at least some other great finds from the same period.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner Bill. Gold coins coming from the West Coast Pre Independence relics coming from the East Coast, I wonder what got dropped along the way in Ohio? As soon as it thaws I'll be out there checking..........Not expecting either, but like Abe said we just keep swinging because you never know!

Very happy for you and I love the Button with it's 13 Stars representing the original colonies. I love the Gold and Old coins, but this is by far the coolest Relic I have ever seen!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that we certainly make our own luck. It's the great researchers on here that continue to find the killer stuff. This season should be a lot of fun. You got your dollar saved out? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread