๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER Yesterdays productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

It's been a very slow January for me as I've only managed to get in about 4-5 hunts which is a sad excuse for someone who's retired and can hunt every day. But my buddy Dan and I finally made it back out yesterday, and we had to brave the frigid low 20s, a biting wind and frozen ground to get in a little swinging. We returned to the spot where we found a 17th century house site in a logged area not long ago. But the finds there were sparse to say the least, so we decided to give the adjacent field another shot. In an earlier hunt, we had found what initially appeared to be a 19th century site on the far side of the field, and that's where I recovered that cool mid-1800s merchant token posted previously. But before we had left that day we started finding a few random, and earlier, targets adjacent to the house site that extended into an unassuming low spot in the middle of the field. Plus we had seen a little brick and heard some iron chirps, so we decided it was worth the effort to give that spot a more thorough look. And it was a good thing we did as we were able to spend the whole day steadily digging targets. Although the colonial coins eluded us yet again, I was quite happy with a 20 button day. And one of them turned out to be a seldom seen patriotic rattlesnake and stars button. That was a first for me, and I've been told these are quite rare. I also dug a solid silver button (oval-shaped) along with a number of other colonial buttons, an early knee buckle, a partially tinned 17th century trifed spoon handle, several lead and pewter musketballs, a cool turn-of-the century gilted locket, and other interesting items. Dan also dug a ton of relics which I'm sure he'll be posting later. Toward the end of the day we expanded our search area and were still hitting on a few random keepers, so we definitely need to make another trip at some point. But we need to refocus on getting into some productive, new sites, and its just a matter of knocking on some doors and catching folks at home. Hopefully we can make that happen soon. Had a fun day Dan - looking forward to next time.

Attachments

• 013115a.jpg
    013115a.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 800
  • 013115b.jpg
    013115b.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 549
  • 013115c.jpg
    013115c.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 574
  • 013115d.jpg
    013115d.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 829
  • 013115e.jpg
    013115e.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 013115f.jpg
    013115f.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 612
  • 013115g.jpg
    013115g.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Upvote 52

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome relics! Congrats!
Glad you were able to get out and dig!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had fun as always Bill....man that is a killer button. For those that do not know, that is not an easy one to come by, no sir. I have seen more George Washington buttons dug than these bad boys and it will likely be Bill's best button find of the year and for a long time. BANNER for sure!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of buttons Bill. I know I've seen these buttons occasionally pop up on here but what's the significance of them? Was there one producer of them? How rare is rare?

Why do the trefid spoons always break in the same spot, haha?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of buttons Bill. I know I've seen these buttons occasionally pop up on here but what's the significance of them? Was there one producer of them? How rare is rare?

There's not much known. Either patriotic or political and thought to have been made by the French, but now that changed to Spanish, and found at early American sites.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on a find of a lifetime! That is one awesome button!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button Bill as well as a nice assortment of other finds! I know not much is known about these but what do they date to?

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joey, they were French produced, though also other variants made in other locals, including the colonies. They were initially representative of the early discussions of a unified colony (13 colonies as one). They took traction after the Mass. Provincial Congress was established. They are patriotic and show up in early home sites and some Rev War camps. Rare for me is how often I personally have dug them and personally seen dug.

I have never found one of these and only see one other dug. I have seen them posted and found from time to time, but less then I do GW buttons. The books might place them lower in rarity for some reason, though I believe them to be rare, more so than most CS buttons and even intertwined USA buttons...you just don't simply see them dug that often.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button! What a great find. My banner vote is in IMO better than any coin.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for rare rattlesnake star button in excellent condition

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill a very productive day on an iffy site turned up a Banner find IMHO, my vote is in for the Rattlesnake and Stars button, the rest of your finds are not to be ignored, very nice haul if I do say so myself!!!!

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just voted banner also for the rattlesnake button! Congrats again!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great hunt Bill. That Rattlesnake and Stars button is one of my all time favorites. I first became aware of that button in 1992 when I read about one being found in Howard Crouch's "Relic Hunter". If you have the book, it's mentioned in the chapter called "An Interlude in Time". I remember thinking what a cool button that would be to find! Well, six years later I found my first. Ten years after that I found my second. Shortly after that I got the tattoo :laughing7:

Welcome to the club :occasion14: I'm voting BANNER.

Attachments

• Snake Buttons-s.jpg
    Snake Buttons-s.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 131
  • tattoo close.jpg.jpg
    tattoo close.jpg.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations of a great hunt Bill. That Rattlesnake and Stars button is one of my all time favorites. I first became aware of that button in 1992 when I read about one being found in Howard Crouch's "Relic Hunter". If you have the book, it's mentioned in the chapter called "An Interlude in Time". I remember thinking what a cool button that would be to find! Well, six years later I found my first. Ten years after that I found my second. Shortly after that I got the tattoo :laughing7:

Welcome to the club :occasion14: I'm voting BANNER.

Wow..Hey Steve that one in the second pic cleaned up nice..still has guilding on it..lol.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the wait was worth it. That is a really nice group of finds. Congrats to you

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know what the lead piece with hole in middle is? I've found several, never heard what they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread