🥇 BANNER Yesterdays productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's productive hunt yields rare rattlesnake and stars button plus much more

It's been a very slow January for me as I've only managed to get in about 4-5 hunts which is a sad excuse for someone who's retired and can hunt every day. But my buddy Dan and I finally made it back out yesterday, and we had to brave the frigid low 20s, a biting wind and frozen ground to get in a little swinging. We returned to the spot where we found a 17th century house site in a logged area not long ago. But the finds there were sparse to say the least, so we decided to give the adjacent field another shot. In an earlier hunt, we had found what initially appeared to be a 19th century site on the far side of the field, and that's where I recovered that cool mid-1800s merchant token posted previously. But before we had left that day we started finding a few random, and earlier, targets adjacent to the house site that extended into an unassuming low spot in the middle of the field. Plus we had seen a little brick and heard some iron chirps, so we decided it was worth the effort to give that spot a more thorough look. And it was a good thing we did as we were able to spend the whole day steadily digging targets. Although the colonial coins eluded us yet again, I was quite happy with a 20 button day. And one of them turned out to be a seldom seen patriotic rattlesnake and stars button. That was a first for me, and I've been told these are quite rare. I also dug a solid silver button (oval-shaped) along with a number of other colonial buttons, an early knee buckle, a partially tinned 17th century trifed spoon handle, several lead and pewter musketballs, a cool turn-of-the century gilted locket, and other interesting items. Dan also dug a ton of relics which I'm sure he'll be posting later. Toward the end of the day we expanded our search area and were still hitting on a few random keepers, so we definitely need to make another trip at some point. But we need to refocus on getting into some productive, new sites, and its just a matter of knocking on some doors and catching folks at home. Hopefully we can make that happen soon. Had a fun day Dan - looking forward to next time.

Attachments

• 013115a.jpg
    013115a.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 798
  • 013115b.jpg
    013115b.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 548
  • 013115c.jpg
    013115c.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 573
  • 013115d.jpg
    013115d.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 828
  • 013115e.jpg
    013115e.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 510
  • 013115f.jpg
    013115f.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 611
  • 013115g.jpg
    013115g.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Upvote 52

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, super day digging. that is more stuff than I dug all last year. the rattlesnake button is awesome, rare and valuable. I collect pre-1865 buttons and that button is not often seen. huge congrats on some fantastic recoveries!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd call that a fantastic day of digging. Great assortment of colonial goodies. Always look forward to seeing what you will dig next.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow what a great looking button Bill and one that I've not seen before. Congrats!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now that is a productive hunt. The button is awesome. Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sly dog lol. A few good finds huh? I would call your email a bit misleading my friend. Are you a lawyer? That is the one button above all others that I want to find. Those snake buttons are the coolest in my opinion. Really cool after seeing Sons of Liberty and the Rattlesnake flag. Awesome find buddy. Hmmm I would suspect this would be a Banner find. It would be to me. I'm voting

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what a hunt, I know you were hoping for earlier coins and such but that is still some impressive finds and then there's that really cool button

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are remarkable finds. I found a stars and snake button in Kentucky a bit a few years ago. Unfortunately being new to metal detecting, I didn't pin point properly and hit it dead center with the shovel. Yours is a rare find and I am going to vote banner for it!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well deserved congrats on those finds!!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woohoo, congrats Bill! My hunting partner was fortunate to dig one on one of our adventures to S.C.!! Beautiful and rare button indeed!!! Congrats on the rest of your Colonial booty as well!!!!

IM

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow bill that button is absolutely beautiful, now that's the kind of stuff you don't see too often, fantastic digs yet again!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs, Bill. I'd be happy if I could just get out. Love the Rattle Snake and Stars button, first one I've seen. What a great variety of finds there and great stuff as well. I hope you keep us posted when you get onto "A Productive New Site" ...........are you saying that you're getting bored with the productive "Old" sites"? lol........jk "But we need to refocus on getting into some productive, new sites well". Great finds/saves buddy, Big Congrats!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button and just goes to show you can't leave early signs unchecked. I've had a few surprises like that and made me better and more thorough for it. I believe the snake is one of the more common patterns as snake buttons go, but you got very nice dug condition.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Crap Bill!!!! Now that is a awsome piece of history...Soo much better then a cut silver or a Cob...Banner all day long..
My vote is in.
George

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
What you dig despite lousy weather is totally awesome! :icon_flower::blob6::blob3::blob5::icon_flower: Love rattlesnake button and the pendant. :notworthy:

I grew up near Richmond & later lived 20 years in Charlottesville - recalling now how some VA winters are fierce while others very mild.
Your posts always inspire the rest of us! Andi

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt! !! Congrats. Love that rattlesnake button!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that patriotic button is outstanding

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a hansom group of goodies there, Bill. That button is amazing and I really like that knee buckle too. I would expect that that site may yield allot more so I hope you can get back there soon.

ZDD

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is something else. I hope to find a button period one day!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions