A Missouri Rifle Cannonball

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best friend and I found this in a creek bed here in SW Mo. It's about 3.5 lb's and just about 2 3/4 inches across. It is solid and has no markings on it at all. Here is how one Missourian described recalling his confidence in his rifle canon as he called it.

Quote from Alfred Mosley, Col Kings Regt. Mo. S.M. Co. B. In a letter written 13,June,1862 In Springfield, Missouri.

"about two hundred and 50 of our men was down at neosha and about a thousand Secesh mostly Indians got a fowl of them and bresed them up right nicely Thier hidious yells Scared the federals Horses so they could not keep them any where in order but I guess if we get out there among them their yelling won’t scare our big rifle Canon much"

Attachments

• cannon ball 2.jpg
    cannon ball 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 629
  • cannon ball 3.jpg
    cannon ball 3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That thing is in sweet shape tsgman....Hopefully where there's one there's another.Great find and Congrat's....Keep us posted,there's gotta be some more out there...Good Luck!!

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
That thing is in sweet shape tsgman....Hopefully where there's one there's another.Great find and Congrat's....Keep us posted,there's gotta be some more out there...Good Luck!!
Yep, we found it back in the 70's.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty sweet find! I was contemplating the other day whether creeks/streams would be a good place to detect... guess I got my answer right there. Heh! :)

Bran <><

diggndeep

Greenie
Jun 29, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer II w/X-1 probe - GMT
That's an awesome find! Could it be a "rifled" cannon that shot that? I know they had them, Parrot was the maker of a 2.9 lb. & 3.0 lb. I believe they referred to them as "rifles" more so than cannons. DD

BureFreak

Mar 26, 2007
Lake Mary, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
tsgman,

I have a book written by Lyon's wife after he was killed at Wilson's Creek. It has some very detailed information about the first Battle of Springfield and the battle of Wilson's Creek. It also mentions locations of their campsites moving up to the battle. It contains a lot of posts sent back and forth between Lyon and Segal. If I could make it back up to Springfield, I would like to go back out to a location where a Confederate campsite was that I found. I have some great artifacts from that area. I miss it too.

Nathan

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Amazing. A large ordinance ball is on the top of my wish list, but looks doubtful. I didn't realize you had been at it so long Tim.

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gribnitz said:
Amazing. A large ordinance ball is on the top of my wish list, but looks doubtful. I didn't realize you had been at it so long Tim.
Actually I was in Jr. High School when we eyeballed it! Lol. I only started relic hunting in the mid 80's. I only got serious about it around 1990. Now I am a full pledged relicaholic! I am like you in that I love to dig old silver but my heart is in the CW relics. I really enjoy seeing your posts and finds as well. You know I never really thought I would ever be lucky enough to find a untouched camp, and we found 2 in less than 3 months. So I guess you just have to keep huntin and good things can happen. I would bet money you will dig one someday. Tim

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BureFreak said:
tsgman,

I have a book written by Lyon's wife after he was killed at Wilson's Creek. It has some very detailed information about the first Battle of Springfield and the battle of Wilson's Creek. It also mentions locations of their campsites moving up to the battle. It contains a lot of posts sent back and forth between Lyon and Segal. If I could make it back up to Springfield, I would like to go back out to a location where a Confederate campsite was that I found. I have some great artifacts from that area. I miss it too.

Nathan
If you can get back this way let me know. we will try to get back out and hunt some of those areas. I do most of my hunting north of Springfield.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BureFreak said:
tsgman,

Nathan

BureFreak,
I'll be down in Saint Petersburg, as I usually am over Summer and Christmas Breaks... but otherwise, I'm usually up here in Springfield going to college. If you ever head up this way and think about it, let me know if you go to any sites up here... I'd love to tag along, if you're not apposed to having someone come with you...

Bran <><

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe a solid iron shot would be fired from a smoothbore, and not a rifled piece?

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and great post, thanks for the history on "The rifle cannon"! Took a few days to get the grin off my face when I found a beautiful cannon ball, LOL, it's about the size of yours. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread