MORE CRAZY OLD BUCKLES FROM 17TH CENTURY RIVERSIDE SITE!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First buckle dates to the same time period of the Charles 11 farthing, looks like you have a great old site.:thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Almost forgot this buckle! I'll get the name of it and post unless someone beats me to it! Never found this type either.

Attachments

• CIMG5216.JPG
    CIMG5216.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 137
  • CIMG5217.JPG
    CIMG5217.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First buckle dates to the same time period of the Charles 11 farthing, looks like you have a great old site.:thumbsup:

SS

Thanks. Yeah, Bill D. posted a link to some great reference material and I found all but the last weird buckle in the main post. But this site aint producing much past 1720 that I can tell. Thats old for my area.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's another mid 17thC double looped buckle, you guys might refer them to another name.

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last buckle is a two piece buckle, missing the chape and prongs, probably a small shoe buckle.

SS

Last edited:

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Too cool on the buckles! Your in a great area. Keep up that hunting!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the buckles. You are definitely onto an early site. Good luck saving more relics from there.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some great buckles that only come from the earliest US sites. I've dug examples of all of yours except that last one. And I can't find it in any of my books either. Never even seen that style which looks like it was purposely bent like that for its intended use (probably for buckling shoes). I'm sure someone from the UK will chime in and help with the ID. And although the rectangular buckles generally came later, yours appears to be early like the others. Very cool find!

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. Yeah, Bill D. posted a link to some great reference material and I found all but the last weird buckle in the main post. But this site aint producing much past 1720 that I can tell. Thats old for my area.

Here's a link to that buckle reference source in case others are interested. It's also available in hardcopy, but its very hard to find and quite pricey.

http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great hunt CP..
Keep plugging away...
Ps. If you get a chance love to see the farthing also.
George

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah Bill. That is an awesome resource as is the one on the spoons. Greatly appreciated. I thought you would appreciate that square buckle. Its different and in this case different is REAL good.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's some buckles similar to yours that I dug one day back in Oct at the site where I found the Lord Baltimore sixpence. Nothing but very early stuff came from this site too, but we only got to hunt it twice due the farmer planting winter wheat.

102414g.jpg

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really great hunt CP..
Keep plugging away...
Ps. If you get a chance love to see the farthing also.
George

Yep. I got 5 coins off here so far. The cob I found here when I found the site back in late 2013 is by far the best find. I was really hoping to get another cob or 2 but now I'm starting to wonder where all the silver is. Maybe there isnt anymore? I'll get them posted soon. The coppers all stink except for the 1679 farthing. Thats not bad at all. I also got some nice buttons including an incredible cast pewter. Best one I have ever found and cant believe its so nice. Most of mine are terribly eroded. But not this beauty. I plan on documenting this site well because the collection of finds will eventually be donated to the state of Md upon my passing. I know who lived here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's some buckles similar to yours that I dug one day back in Oct at the site where I found the Lord Baltimore sixpence. Nothing but very early stuff came from this site too, but we only got to hunt it twice due the farmer planting winter wheat.

View attachment 1118527

Yep. I remember drooling over those 2 complete buckles. The condition is just plain nuts. I'd take either over a small denom cob ANYDAY. I am a relic man and buckles like that really get me excited. Bet you cant wait to get back to that site.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. I got 5 coins off here so far. The cob I found here when I found the site back in late 2013 is by far the best find. I was really hoping to get another cob or 2 but now I'm starting to wonder where all the silver is. Maybe there isnt anymore? I'll get them posted soon. The coppers all stink except for the 1679 farthing. Thats not bad at all. I also got some nice buttons including an incredible cast pewter. Best one I have ever found and cant believe its so nice. Most of mine are terribly eroded. But not this beauty. I plan on documenting this site well because the collection of finds will eventually be donated to the state of Md upon my passing. Like i said its a prominent colonial figures birthplace. They just didnt know where exactly it stood...but I do. lol

Thats awsome..I have two places like that i found for some quakers, and donated all the buttons and buckles back to them..
I just got to keep all the coins..
Ps..not as old as urs though. .lol..
George

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cross Potent where in ell do you keep finding these nice relics must be one hot spot. Man they are nice! vanzutphen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread