Bullets Over Washington, DC

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, every time I dig, I think I've found something fantastic. But last time I posted, I was told my "bullets" were old batteries! :BangHead:

Today I went out in the yard to put my detector away and decided to do a quick pass in an area I don't often check. I can't remember what the detector registered but it was a high pitch and I saw the needle back and forth between 6 and 8 inches.

I found another great pottery shard, some glass, a strange looking piece of metal (possibly lead) that looks burnt and a piece of lead that, to this novice, looks like a Civil War bullet.
IMG_2440.JPG IMG_2442.JPG IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2447.jpg

It weighs about an ounce or 30.70 grams.

IMG_2448.jpg IMG_2449.jpg

Is it a bullet??? Someone please say yes! If it is, what type? If it's not a bullet, let me down easy.

I think this other metal piece is just a small, decorative finial from something. It looks like the inside of the hole is threaded.

IMG_2452.JPG IMG_2453.JPG IMG_2454.JPG

Upvote 5
OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a civil war era three ringer bullet to me.

Woo hoo! I love you already!!!
BTW, I only dig in my backyard-- so this gives me hope that the similar pieces I dug when I first started are also Civil War bullets. I'll have to take some pics of those and post.

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fired Union bullet, which probably means it was fired from another spot. Are you close to any of the old forts that circled D.C.?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The finial could be from a cartridge box, and also CW era.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first confirmed CW bullet. Awesome feeling, isn't it?

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fired Union bullet, which probably means it was fired from another spot. Are you close to any of the old forts that circled D.C.?

Hi Fullstock, Yes, I'm only a few blocks away from Fort Bayard and about a mile from Fort Reno. My question is, how do you know it's a Union bullet? I did look inside the cavity and there's not a star or any other markings. I'd love to know more. Thanks!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm going to chime in uninvited! The bullet is a union 3 ring minie and it's a Union CW bullet because it's highly unlikely that it is anything else! This was the standard round among union troops (who mostly carried Springfields) and some had a star or a swage (sp?) mark in the base, but yours is just as authentic. Also consider that beautiful creme patina indicating age, and the location you found it, and it all adds up to exactly what it is. Your finial may indeed be from a percussion cap pouch, or a cartridge box - and it doesn't look new . . . it was just in good soil for brass. Now it might NOT be . . . but again, considering location found, and pretty green patina . . . a definite maybe! Lots of people made pouches and boxes, and a finial might look like anything. I have a couple of CSA lead ones. Congrats, and looks like you've got some great possibilities!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
many of the confederate rifles were the older 69 cal --while most of union rifles were the more modern 58 cal ...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Correct me if I am wrong... but most CSA bullets were two ringers, and Union (the bad guys) bullets were three ringers.

Congrats on a nice find!

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's killing me that there is snow still on the ground-- Although I did find these when it was still pretty damn cold. The bullet was found about 20 feet from my back door. I think it's the 7th Civil War piece I've found in my yard, not including all of the pottery shards.

Still working on learning the ins and outs of my crazy detector, which seems to have a mind of its own. Thanks for all of the feedback. I love all of the details people share. Cheers!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Correct me if I am wrong... but most CSA bullets were two ringers, and Union (the bad guys) bullets were three ringers.

Congrats on a nice find!

You are NOT wrong, Tom. The two ring Gardner was the most common CSA round but early in the war, lot's of poorly equipped southern boys walked off the farm with grampa's old .69 cal smoothbore. Lots of .69s are oft-found at early war sites. 1861-1862 battles. Many of us oldsters correctly (I think) maintain that a 3-ringer may sometimes be from confederate hands. They seized "spoils of war" guns and ammo whenever possible. At Bull Run, it was reported that .69 cal smoothbore rifles were found discarded in the field. Apparently, the Confederates grabbed the rifles (and one may assume, the ammo) of dead, wounded, or routed yankees because it was far superior to their own. Lots of rifles found their way into hands of both sides as the war progressed. Carbines like the Sharpes, Spencer and Starr, and other weapons. One might note too, that when states seceded, some of the men of that state might have been currently serving in the (yankee) army. We can presume they didn't return their rifles and accouterments before taking up arms . . . but kept the (now contraband) equipment for the use of the South. Tin type pictures even exist with Confederates wearing U.S. buckles! They usually turned them upside down to denote "NOT UNION." Didn't mean to write so much, but it's cold, the ground's frozen, and we have 6" of Virginia snow prohibiting me from doing anything more productive!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread