Weird find after a 7 year detecting break( my daughter got pics of token to work

P

Phideaux

Started a new job last week and met a guy there that likes detecting. So we went out today for my first time swinging a detector in about seven years. Dug a lot of nails and other iron trying to remember what all the controls on my old Fisher 1260 do. Then i finally got what i thought might be a good hit.
Wish i could post a picture of this token i found today....it's says "Pres. & Mrs. Cleveland" in an arc around the president and his wife on the front.on the back it says "souvenir of the western and southern tour" in a arc with the liberty bell in the middle.it also says "the nation's favorite belle" in a closer arc by the bell. it's dated 1887,and looks like it has remants of gold plating on it.It's just a tiny bit bigger than a quarter.It has also been holed. Found it about 7-8" down in wet, semi-sandy dirt.
I've tried doing a search on it and found nothing. Anyone have any ideas ?

Attachments

• P4260015.JPG
    P4260015.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 940
  • P4260016.JPG
    P4260016.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 955
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weird find after a 7 year detecting break

Hopefully you will post a picture of your find, it make identifying an object easier.

Now about the Fisher 1260, don't give up on that great detector. It is still a Number one detector. I used to have one and the guy I sold it to never did use the detector correctly. He bought 3 other detectors and did the same thing.

One thing about the Fisher 1260, dig those deep weak signals. If they are steady and weak, it is a deep coin.

Good Luck, Ringfinder

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Weird find after a 7 year detecting break

Great Find!! I found this web page: http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/gallery/prescoin.htm

Here is the description:

2342. WESTERN & SOUTHERN RAILROAD TOUR. GC 1888-12. 25.5mm. Gilt Brass. B. Soley, Sc. Bright Unc. Holed. Small rx. dark spot at 5:30. Obv: PRES. & MRS. CLEVELAND around jugate busts right. Rx: SOUVENIR OF THE WESTERN & SOUTHERN TOUR/ OF/ THE NATION’S FAVORITE BELLE; a large Liberty Bell with date 1887 below. (C)

Price Realized: $6.00 Not a huge value, but cool find!

OP
OP
P

Phideaux

Thanks everyone. Now me and my new detecting friend will be going out this weekend and sharing some spots to hunt on.Yeah,I really like the 1260. I figure if it's picking up nails at 8" +, I'll be doing a lot of digging. I don't really use discrimination much.I'd rather dig everything and clear all the trash out as I go.That way I shouldn't miss much many targets.
I still can't remember what the tuning control on it is for. If i remember right,I'm supposed to set the sensitivity knob so I barely hear a threshold sound,but not sure about the tuning knob.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions