Cyclops eye ring. A seaworn silver ring and an unidentified metal coin/disc?

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
I had a nice day yesterday hunting a local beach.
On the path, right next to the cliffs I found a green disc that looks kind of like a coin.

After pocketing the disc I went on to check for any WW2 relics, my most frequent eyeball finds, but I had no luck there.
I went on looking and at some point I found in a small "cavern" under a rock ledge this ring that was all green and really in bad shape. It looked as if someone maybe had placed it there next to his towel and sun glasses, somebody taking a swim in the sea that's about a meter from that point and forgot it when leaving.
With that black onyx on it, the ring looked promissing, the base metal shining through the crust... I've found before in the sea or sand older greek coins from the '60s-'70's that have a high silver content that had that greenblue corrosion layer like the ring did, I had high hopes on this piece!
I checked the cavity if there was anything else forgotten but nothing than an empty Nivea suncream tin was in it.

ring_Before.jpg

When I got home I started treating the ring. First I covered it with a thick coat of toothpaste and after many hours I went on to scratching of the thick corrosion and sea salt crust with a bamboo skewer. A peroxide bath came next and finally I immersed it in a commercial jewelry cleansing liquid and buffed it up with a cloth.
On the inside there's the 925 stamp , the onyx has very few scratches, the metal has suffered a little pitting but after all the ring looks great and fits me!

ring_After1.jpg

ring_After2.jpg

Now about the "coin", I sure need some help there.
It's about 1,5cm in diameter and 1,5mm thick. I can't make out what is on it, if there's anything at all there. It's heavily corroded, non magnetic it's either copper, brass or bronze, no way to tell in it's state. There seems to be maybe some sort of text on one side, around the perimeter, doesn't show in the photos taken and I have to treat it to get out more detail.
Any suggestions and techniques you guys would use?

Upvote 11

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with PP... that thing cleaned up really well. Congrats!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love it when a ring fits! nice find!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice ring find and restoration!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome job on the ring, looks better by far than when you found it

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All thie items you found are wonderful. If my guess is right the metel disc you are having trouble iding is likely a token. Mentioning the script on the back is what makes me think so.
Good luck cleaning the disc up. hopefully, the enscription on it will all come out.

Bond

OP
OP
yaxthri

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks guys.
I still haven't decided on which method to try on the disc/coin. When I do I'll post some new pics.
Good hunts to you all.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You called the ring seaworn. It is worn, but I think the main wear is from being worn so long. It looks pretty old. Tony

OP
OP
yaxthri

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
You called the ring seaworn. It is worn, but I think the main wear is from being worn so long. It looks pretty old. Tony

Well, either old or pourly made, could be both. I think you are right, it must have been worn a lot before the former owner lost or forgot it.
Must have been a loss for him/her...but what luck for me! As your sloggan states! Hahaha

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day hunting beats a day of work.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cleaned up nice!I would say it is old.never seen silver corroded like that before,Then again I dont li9ve by any ocean either.nice find

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Put the coin in a small bottle of lime juice for starters. Let it soak for about an hour, then take it to the sink and work it a little with a soft bristle tooth brush. See what happens with that before you try lemon juice(lemon juice has a higher acidic content). If it's copper, brass, or bronze that should clean it up some.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Terrific clean up job on the ring!
Hope the coin is something awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread