I beleive this a well perserved civil war brass compass..cant beleive the condition.

jhumbert40

Sep 13, 2012
Bayville New Jersey
Detector(s) used
whites m-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921.1 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 18

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Even though it's not CW era it's still a great little piece. Congrats on your find.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA_Ken is correct on the date. WWI era (maybe up to WWII) compass. Gettysburg has had all sorts of military maneuvers, encampments, visitors, etc over the years. Civil War era compasses are generally not this fancy. most have paper dials under the glass and do not have the degree marks. but compasses are neat and this WWI era compass is a nice find. it will look amazing in a display case. and think about all the 'Doughboys' that used this type of compass... nice find...

Last edited:

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, WWI to WWII, but still a very cool find.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your Compass !! That's a really cool find even if it's not Civil War era.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find and im sure just about all of us if we unearthed such a prize our hearts would have skipped a few beats, well not me my pacemaker wouldn't let it, and we all would be very proud to have it in the collection. Great hunting job.

OP
OP
jhumbert40

jhumbert40

Sep 13, 2012
Bayville New Jersey
Detector(s) used
whites m-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the info....Still love the surprise....When I was cutting it out of the plastic,I thought because of the shape it was few coins,not sure what coins but was so excited....then when I opened it it was the compass and I seen the stamp US and never less it made in brass I was shaking thinking it was civil war error,considering I dug it up out side the battle grounds...I am still happy with the find even if it isn't civil war...Just a new piece to add to my collection....Thanks Again guy's,that's why I love this site...I was hoping some one knew what it was and they did.... Well appreciated...

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good find anyday

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread