beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out today and finally got to hit a vacant lot I've had my eye on but have never checked out. It's a small lot with a tiny brook running along the back of it. There used to be a house on the lot that was built in the early 50s. I found nothing of note on the entire lot and was headed out. I though I would swing along the tiny brook on the way out. This is where I found the Franklin half. The bottom of the plug was filled with water and when I pulled out the coin I thought it was a clad dollar coin and just tossed it in my pouch. I've never found a silver coin that looked like this. I've seen photos of silver coins found in salt water but this is fresh water so I am not sure if this caused the heavy black tarnishing. The merc I found at the next spot I hit.

I've tried to clean the Franklin and using both dish soap and then baking soda and a toothbrush it will not come clean and shiny like I like them. Any suggestions?

franklin.jpg

Sorry for this lousy photo. Ben enjoyed his bath in lemon juice and baking soda exfoliant brushing.

60 ben.jpg
merc.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 17

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lemon juice that baby bud. Great day

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the big silver! I'd leave it as it is, I like the dark background with lighter raised areas.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those dirt pics are awesome, the coins don't look bad either! Lol I'm losing it when I'd rather see dirt than coins!!! Jk of course

Awesome finds beez, congrats on the silver

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Jay! Those Franklins are hard to come by. I prefer not to use baking soda on silver coins as it can be quite abrasive plus it'll give the coin a fakey shine. Normally I would do a little light electrolysis on it, or the lemon juice method as Abe suggested would work fine as well.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Jay..like bill said them franklins dont come around everyday. .I never found one..lol..
It toke alot of years to look like that, it deserves to have the tarnish on it...lol..

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
must be terrible, digging coins like that, knowing that so many can't begin to go. I bet it doesn't even bother you. well, I for one don't blame you, pretty darn awesome silver!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Coins that sit in water for years tarnish and turn black. The tarnish will actually start to eat away at the coin after awhile. I have pulled barber dimes out of the lake that were about half their thickness. Yours look beautiful though.

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
That is the elusive coin that I can not find. Great find thanks for sharing.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet day, Congrats on the Big silver!!

That baby looks great just the way it is, I wouldn't worry about any cleaning.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lemon juice that baby bud. Great day

So I would just soak it in lemon juice like I would a copper in peroxide minus the heating? I should know this but I've never dug a silver coin that wasn't practically shiny right out of the hole.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I would just soak it in lemon juice like I would a copper in peroxide minus the heating? I should know this but I've never dug a silver coin that wasn't practically shiny right out of the hole.

Yup just stick it in there and leave it for a while. You may need to take a qtip or a super soft tooth brush and gently hit it. I obviously wouldn't recommend that on a valuable silver but should be fine on that one.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
must be terrible, digging coins like that, knowing that so many can't begin to go. I bet it doesn't even bother you. well, I for one don't blame you, pretty darn awesome silver!

Actually, this winter I have truly come to appreciate how difficult it is for those who live in weather challenged areas and how much they miss being able to get out to metal detect. I used to tease and kid about it but now realize the errors of my ways. I'm hoping everyone has an early spring so ya'll can get back out there swinging again.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, the new year started off really nice and I quickly found two gold rings but that came to a screeching halt. I think that it is great that guys like you are able to get out there and find something with out having to hack their way through the ice. and then to find a coin like that one, really sweet one at that. find some more for guys like me to see, in the winter wonderland right now, well, that's what some call it. I have a new deus that is screaming to get out!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Silver Congrats! That is so cool. I've only found one, it was in my first 2-3 months of detecting and it was my 5th or 6th Silver coin found. I also found a Merc. they were about 8 inches apart. That was probably my first 2 Silver day, found with my Bounty Hunter Discovery!

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad guys can get out and find the good stuff so I have something to read about on Tnet and it gives me hope that I'll find something cool myself when all the snow melts. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread