1725 Cut 2 Reales

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this a couple days ago on a local farm field. It's obviously cut with some apparent plow damage as well. It has the "25" half of the date, I'm fairly certain it's 1725 but of course I could be wrong.

c2f61142101d7f525b897d2aaaa20bae.jpg
3c7079e8891ca489685bc0317845193a.jpg
8c841faf0deee716851a7d338cd291cd.jpg

Upvote 22
OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The detail is nice and crisp on it still, very cool coin.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet that was a rush to see the Spanish silver come out of the hole!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the comments so far.

Bill, yeah I got out for a bit on Wednesday, between the snow. It was hitting in the high 70s, between 76-78. There is certainly something a bit funky looking going on at the bend/break. I noticed it as soon as I rinsed the dirt off. It appears to be flaking, almost like there's an outer layer or something. Kind of reminds me of pewter. Counterfeit didn't even cross my mind at first but now that you've mentioned it it would make sense.

d413608975fd2aad6f8e495b42afb25f.jpg
be567b515803cbfe381bcb7438a42c62.jpg

Thanks for the close-ups. That definitely does not look like silver to me - it appears to be some kind of pot metal which would usually read rather high as well (in the silver range). Below are a couple of pics of half of a counterfeit 8 reale coin I found a couple years ago. Its not exactly like yours, but I do see some similarities.

041113c.JPG

041113e.JPG

OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the close-ups. That definitely does not look like silver to me - it appears to be some kind of pot metal which would usually read rather high as well (in the silver range). Below are a couple of pics of half of a counterfeit 8 reale coin I found a couple years ago. Its not exactly like yours, but I do see some similarities.

View attachment 1125824

View attachment 1125825
I agree with you, it does look different than silver. I don't have a photo right now of the cut edge, but on mine whatever the metal is is uniform along the cut. There's no flaking, layers, corrosion, etc along the cut. Also, you can't see it in my photo because you have to catch it just right with the lighting, but there's a very small area towards the outer edge that got scratched, possibly while I was retrieving it, but inside the scratch looks like what you would expect to see with silver. But I'm not sure, maybe pot metal would look like that as well?

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Recovery...Good Pics!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find. Congrats on the Spanish silver! GL&HH.

tormes

Mar 1, 2015
Salamanca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, Whites Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pistareen (http://numismatics.org/wikiuploads/CNL/Pistareens.pdf) in that link we can download an interesting article about them.

I am not sure if it is counterfeit or not, anyway I think is from 1725, king Philip V, mint Seville -S- (pistareen coins were minted in Spain mainland with lesser silver content than those minted in american mints) and probably is 2 reales.

Congratulations

t.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Silver, wouldn't have that black tarnish if it wasn't Silver, or a lot of Silver in the cut coin.

SS

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Silver, wouldn't have that black tarnish if it wasn't Silver, or a lot of Silver in the cut coin.

SS

I'm having a hard time believing this is not a counterfeit. The irregularity and brittleness of the break would not be characteristic of a silver coin. The tarnish you see would also be possible if the coin was silver plated, like the huge counterfeit cut 8 reale I posted above. And pot metal would also read like silver so its high conductivity does not confirm silver. Like to hear more chime in on this.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a hard time believing this is not a counterfeit. The irregularity and brittleness of the break would not be characteristic of a silver coin. The tarnish you see would also be possible if the coin was silver plated, like the huge counterfeit cut 8 reale I posted above. And pot metal would also read like silver so its high conductivity does not confirm silver. Like to hear more chime in on this.
It's not uncommon for Silver Coins to be brittle, I have had hammered Silver coins break on me, Saxon coins are notorious for it. For it to go black like that means there is quite a bit of Silver there. I have never seen pot metal go that colour either. On your coin you can clearly see the flaking and the green cooper core at the break, I don't see any of this on the one posted, and the break at the coin on this one has also gone black. I guess the weight would help solve in the mystery.

SS

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting