deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was the worst day for frozen ground and digging plugs. Our little area of partially frozen ground turned into a nightmare of frozen ground.
Told the kid digging these flat buttons wasn't worth my effort trying to dig them out. lol Before today digging was tough breaking through that top layer, today that top layer went down 6" or more. The kid had the advantage today, I gave up early tired of fighting frozen ground.

I found 2 flat buttons and a modern day Winchester head stamp? It me 20 minutes digging that head stamp out too?

The kid found 6 flat buttons and an old token, 1790 French token.

Some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 10

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Jeton as the French spell it or Jetton as we say is not a token as such (at least not in there function);
Jeton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They were a counting 'chip'.
The Germans cornered/dominated this market with their versions; rechenpfennig (I think means reckoning counter/penny)- these were produced in the millions & flooded the French & English markets, putting them out of business.

Last edited:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! What do you have your iron disc setting at?

Kirk

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. This is not a French Jetton, but a German made Jetton in the French style (something they would sell to France).
1791 Louis XVI, France - Exonumia (Tokens, Medals, etc) Forums - CoinPeople.com

Wow, that info. is Awesome!! Thanks!!

The kid was super excited to find this one and he worked for this one. On the edge of the area we've been searching was a old barbed wire fence and the brush grew up along the fence. The kid was clearing sections of the brush out and then would detect that section. That's where he found this.
In the one pic I posted with the metal detector laying you can see where he has some brush propped up. That's where he found it.

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! What do you have your iron disc setting at?

Kirk

We're still learning these AT Pros, we got them just before all this latest snow and cold came. We haven't had a chance to experiment much with settings or figure out the different numbers we get for different targets.
We've been running them in Standard Custom with the sensitivity turned all the way up with iron disc at 30-35. When we get a good repeater hit we check it out with either the iron audio or switching to Pro Custom to see how it sounds?

The flat buttons are coming up at 53-54 with these settings. When the kid found the Jetton it jumped around some but, was coming up 54 steady. After he dug his plug he checked the hole and it showed the target still in the hole, but was coming up a little higher. He dug down further and found the Jetton.
Before he filled his hole back in he re-checked the hole and the plug. He got a 54 hit in the plug, after checking the plug with his pin pointer he found a flat button.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that info. is Awesome!! Thanks!!

The kid was super excited to find this one and he worked for this one. On the edge of the area we've been searching was a old barbed wire fence and the brush grew up along the fence. The kid was clearing sections of the brush out and then would detect that section. That's where he found this.
In the one pic I posted with the metal detector laying you can see where he has some brush propped up. That's where he found it.

Its a good find & for these in very good condition.

I did a little further research in my books & found the following;
Its likely to have been produced after the Kings death in 1793, so 1793-95ish.
It was made in Nuremberg in Germany, no surprises there, they have a rich tradition in these going back hundreds of years. They actually had Laws that forbid any Jetton maker from leaving the town, this kept there competitive advantage under raps.
What might be interesting is this Jettons Die Axis, this series; the 'equestrian' differs from nearly all the other Nurembery Jettons in that the Die Axis was mostly 6oc instead of the normal 12oc.

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gotta love it, with the people on this forum, you have quick IDs and loads of info! love the jetton

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta love it, with the people on this forum, you have quick IDs and loads of info! love the jetton

Yeah, like CRUSADER!!

Awesome he volunteers his vast knowledge with others. This was not the first time he's giving me insight on something myself or boy has found.

Thank you again, CRUSADER!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! Thank you for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread