Gold Guilt War of 1812 Navy Officer Button (Big Drama...)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Great story, that became a bad story, that became a great story again. A couple months or so ago I posted War of 1812 Navy Officer button I found at battle site, still with gold guilt on it. My brother was visiting from out of town this weekend so I wanted to show it to him and I had it wrapped in small piece of paper towel. Took it in my pocket to restaurant telling myself this might be a mistake, don't forget about this in the paper towel, nah, I said to myself, not going to happen. The next day we are out fishing on a boat and I remember I never showed it to him, but no problem, that pair of jeans is in the car when we get back to the dock I'll show him. Well you know what's coming,,,no paper towel, anywhere...that sinking feeling...no button...@$*@#*#(#@@$%...so later that day I'm thinking about it again and I did go home after the restaurant, before fishing the next day. I seem to remember leaving the paper towel on the dresser, but not certain. No way I would toss that out myself without remembering...Here's where some past history gets involved. I am known to leave pieces of paper towel around the house crumpled up and my girlfriend tosses it and it's a running thing. By this time my brother and I had left town and were couple hours away overnight elsewhere so I called and asked my girlfriend do you remember throwing out small piece of paper towel on dresser: "Not sure, maybe, why" -- "Oh, no biggie, only had one of the best things I ever found."...So she set aside the last two big bags of garbage from outside - luckily it wasn't going to be picked up until Monday morning. So I just got home and went through the gross garbage, including some dog stuff...see below for the outcome. Needless to say, no more wrapping stuff in paper towel for me.

Attachments

• recover4.jpg
    recover4.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Recover3.jpg
    Recover3.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 219
  • recover2.jpg
    recover2.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 209
  • recover1.jpg
    recover1.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Upvote 18

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well a 14 British "colony" star button with anchor would have been made from the 1763 to 1776 era when there was 14 "british loyal colonies"

in 1763 the brits were at war with spain --the brits had taken control of cuba and at the end of the war spain wanted cuba back , the brits seeing trouble brewing in its then 13 "british" colonies wanted spain off the "mainland" of America ..so that they could not assist trouble makers...

so a swap was done --florida for cuba...and the "14 th British colony" came into existence ...in 1776 the "13" American colonies split from England . florida the 14th stayed BRITISH LOYAL and rapidly became a haven for british loyalist from the southern states --the spanish late in the war took the Americans side --- and regaining Florida from Britain in 1783 was their "reward" for being on the winning side

American sailors who were formerly British sailors from 1763 to 1776 ...would have had these 14 star "British colony" buttons on their uniforms when they joined the American Navy ...

Last edited:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years and years of tears. That could've been you...

Great save! hahahaa

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaun7 had a similar experience with a hammered coin, but it never got recovered. I would feel sick for weeks if that happen to me, & I would never forget it. I guess I'm pretty sick.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double recovery on a nice button

Top Member Reactions