Gold Guilt War of 1812 Navy Officer Button (Big Drama...)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Great story, that became a bad story, that became a great story again. A couple months or so ago I posted War of 1812 Navy Officer button I found at battle site, still with gold guilt on it. My brother was visiting from out of town this weekend so I wanted to show it to him and I had it wrapped in small piece of paper towel. Took it in my pocket to restaurant telling myself this might be a mistake, don't forget about this in the paper towel, nah, I said to myself, not going to happen. The next day we are out fishing on a boat and I remember I never showed it to him, but no problem, that pair of jeans is in the car when we get back to the dock I'll show him. Well you know what's coming,,,no paper towel, anywhere...that sinking feeling...no button...@$*@#*#(#@@$%...so later that day I'm thinking about it again and I did go home after the restaurant, before fishing the next day. I seem to remember leaving the paper towel on the dresser, but not certain. No way I would toss that out myself without remembering...Here's where some past history gets involved. I am known to leave pieces of paper towel around the house crumpled up and my girlfriend tosses it and it's a running thing. By this time my brother and I had left town and were couple hours away overnight elsewhere so I called and asked my girlfriend do you remember throwing out small piece of paper towel on dresser: "Not sure, maybe, why" -- "Oh, no biggie, only had one of the best things I ever found."...So she set aside the last two big bags of garbage from outside - luckily it wasn't going to be picked up until Monday morning. So I just got home and went through the gross garbage, including some dog stuff...see below for the outcome. Needless to say, no more wrapping stuff in paper towel for me.

Attachments

• recover4.jpg
    recover4.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Recover3.jpg
    Recover3.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 219
  • recover2.jpg
    recover2.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 209
  • recover1.jpg
    recover1.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, very nice button too!
hope that lerns her hide!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button!! Glad it wasn't tossed out and you recovered it for the second time.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been there almost did the same thing nice button . vanzutphen

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa accidentally threw away a ziploc bag with a barber dime, mercury dime, military button, relics, and about 20 wheat pennies I found at my family farm. He assumed it was junk and tossed it. Luckily the first spot I checked was the garbage. I am glad you had good luck like I did!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The salt in the wound would have been you ignored your gut instinct... not usually a good idea! I'd never take one of my better finds out of the house without in being in something larger and much harder to lose.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out of that habbit early...heard of too many horror stories, similar to yours...even the kids with their retainers had thrown them out...not knowing... bring the people to the finds and not the other way around lol...great save twice...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great lost/recovery story! You have a beautiful piece of history, thank you for sharing.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i can do the same kind of thing only i do it to myself. no girl friend required. My grandkids say i can hide my own Easter eggs.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great to see the story ends on a happy note. Paper, Kleenex, are simply dangerous for finds.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, that became a bad story, that became a great story again. A couple months or so ago I posted War of 1812 Navy Officer button I found at battle site, still with gold guilt on it. My brother was visiting from out of town this weekend so I wanted to show it to him and I had it wrapped in small piece of paper towel. Took it in my pocket to restaurant telling myself this might be a mistake, don't forget about this in the paper towel, nah, I said to myself, not going to happen. The next day we are out fishing on a boat and I remember I never showed it to him, but no problem, that pair of jeans is in the car when we get back to the dock I'll show him. Well you know what's coming,,,no paper towel, anywhere...that sinking feeling...no button...@$*@#*#(#@@$%...so later that day I'm thinking about it again and I did go home after the restaurant, before fishing the next day. I seem to remember leaving the paper towel on the dresser, but not certain. No way I would toss that out myself without remembering...Here's where some past history gets involved. I am known to leave pieces of paper towel around the house crumpled up and my girlfriend tosses it and it's a running thing. By this time my brother and I had left town and were couple hours away overnight elsewhere so I called and asked my girlfriend do you remember throwing out small piece of paper towel on dresser: "Not sure, maybe, why" -- "Oh, no biggie, only had one of the best things I ever found."...So she set aside the last two big bags of garbage from outside - luckily it wasn't going to be picked up until Monday morning. So I just got home and went through the gross garbage, including some dog stuff...see below for the outcome. Needless to say, no more wrapping stuff in paper towel for me.

Bergie, glad you were able to recover such a beautiful button!

For all readers: Never Never Never put your finds in a rolled up tissue or paper towel. I lost a Dog Bone I Infantry pewter button and never recovered it as I had put it in a wadded up tissue for protection while researching it. Needless to say it was accidently thrown out. Granted the edges were eaten away, but it was my first and only. Woulda, coulda, shoulda!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close call.....

Shaun7 had his hammereds throw away in a similar manner.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that sinking feeling....gaaaahhhhh! kinda got sick reading the first part of that story. lol glad you found it. That sure would have been a shame to throw that out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions