Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Wanted to try out some new settings on the XP Deus, a tweeked version of the Deus Fast setting. I thought I would try a Saxon field that I had found small Saxon Styca coins on before. Saxon Stycas are small bronze coins (13mm) that were minted in the Kingdom of Northumbria before the country was unified. They some times can be Silvered and there is quite a broad span of rulers for this time perod, including CivilWar issues and irregular type. (which one of mine is)

These coins can be very difficult giving a very iffy signal, and nearly always are found on heavy iron sites of occupation (great for the Deus) We only had a short window of time because the weather was closing in, the field was seeded but any rain we would have to leave soon after. A few small lead finds started to show through the iron, I was pleased with this because some were very tiny (bb size) so I knew the deus would pick them out, and it did...two of them .. Along with a very small Saxon Hooked clothes tag. The rain did come after about two hours so I had to leave just when I was on a roll, never mind they will be another day to winkle these very hard coins out, with the Deus.:thumbsup:

Styca of Osberht (848-867) with moneyer, Edelhelm (The one with two crosses) letters in both legends are retrograde.

Irregular styca of the period circa AD 843-855. (Phase two)

Attachments

• IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 640px-Kingdom_of_Northumbria_in_AD_802.jpg
    640px-Kingdom_of_Northumbria_in_AD_802.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Upvote 15
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing is with a Deus Rick is that it gives you so many options, which you can flick to at a touch. It really is multiple detectors all in one.:thumbsup:

SS

I just may have to give one a try this year, my buddy ZDD likes his. I kind of wish other models from the XP line were available here as well.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS, Cool Stycas but I really like the clothes hook! I imagine you've found a few of those over the years. Too bad the hook is broken. Deus is working well for you. Thanks for the insight, a history lesson is always welcome. Best of the Best!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS, Cool Stycas but I really like the clothes hook! I imagine you've found a few of those over the years. Too bad the hook is broken. Deus is working well for you. Thanks for the insight, a history lesson is always welcome. Best of the Best!
Only ever had two Saxon clothes hooks, and they both came of that field.:thumbsup:

SS

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling that your Deus has more clothes hooks in your future. It's another one of those everyday utilitarian items that I feel has such a personal connection to our past. Killer find!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling that your Deus has more clothes hooks in your future. It's another one of those everyday utilitarian items that I feel has such a personal connection to our past. Killer find!
This one was actually lying right on top, but it took a bit of finding and gave a real good signal. Personal item always hold that awe about them, I often wonder who they were and the jobs they were doing, to think that you are the first person to hold such items, after they have been lost for 1000-1400 years is just one of the amazing things about our hobby.:thumbsup:

SS

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
been watching the series "Vikings" here in America and how they hit those parts of England and how the various Saxon kings dealt with them ----being here in the USA -- I envy your ability to detect such old and historic items such as roman coins , saxon items , Viking items and such ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been watching the series "Vikings" here in America and how they hit those parts of England and how the various Saxon kings dealt with them ----being here in the USA -- I envy your ability to detect such old and historic items such as roman coins , saxon items , Viking items and such ...
Yes the dark Ages of Britain, My favourite era.

SS

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what a grand mix of historical stuff Britain has to offer * every day use items of the romans , Vikings , old saxon / norman kingdoms -- plus the many 'treasure hoards" to be found

makes me wish I was both healthy and wealthy enough to go a metal detecting holiday there..

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was actually lying right on top, but it took a bit of finding and gave a real good signal. Personal item always hold that awe about them, I often wonder who they were and the jobs they were doing, to think that you are the first person to hold such items, after they have been lost for 1000-1400 years is just one of the amazing things about our hobby.:thumbsup:

SS

Exactly! Well put. Of course I have no idea what it's like to find and hold anything lost 1000-1400 years ago. I do know the awe and humbling feeling that I often have when I find and hold personal items lost 100-400 years ago.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
to say wow is another understatement, cool is the same thing. very educational post, enjoyed it all, thanks for the pics and info. very cool history digs over there.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! Well put. Of course I have no idea what it's like to find and hold anything lost 1000-1400 years ago. I do know the awe and humbling feeling that I often have when I find and hold personal items lost 100-400 years ago.
400 or 4000 mate it's all the same. You are the first to hold some bodies personal item and part of there life. We are very lucky to have such a wide date range of history.:thumbsup:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread