Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone seen on of these before? I met this 94year old man today, at this retirement home im doing work at.. We started talking about history and the wars, he told me his grandpappy was in the CW, and spent 1year in the prison in Georgia, the name slips me right now..Anyway he seen my passion, for history and said i have something for you, and goes and gets this booklet, and hands it to me. Tells me im welcome to it, if i want..I was blown away..
Trying to find out about it.
It was given out at the 50th reunion in 1913 at Gettysburg. .
The north and south came for the weekend and shook hands and swapped story's and did some healing..
I will be seing him tomorrow and looking forwad to more story's..
Im going to bring him a eagle button and a couple of 3ringers, just as a token..
Thought i would share this, and if anyone has more info, please tell me..
Thanks George

Attachments

• 1425342321097.jpg
    1425342321097.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 1425342340128.jpg
    1425342340128.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 157

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we often forget what our elders have to offer us and what they have seen or even done. I always listen to their stories. A few years back, I happened to be in a large nursing home in Long Island nd began talking to this elderly man. The man explained that his wife had died just a couple years earlier, then told me how he had met her. He had been wounded on the beaches at Normandy and she had been one of his nurses, pretty awesome story.

Upvote 0

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great find. Bet FEW are still around. Think of it, that old guy KNEW and TALKED TO a civil war soldier. Wow.

Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to bring him a eagle button and a couple of 3ringers, just as a token..

Awesome, great way to repay his generosity! I wonder if he recalls any picnic groves, ballfields, swimming holes, or bottle dumps that he used back in the 20s and 30s? As a kid one of my neighbors was an ancient Japanese woman who was stuck in a detention camp during WW2. She had some great stories and a lot of wisdom. Oletimers are a real treasure.

Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great gift from him to you and he knew this would probably be lost when he passed and wanted someone who had an interest to have it. What a generous man and God bless him and thank you for taking time to talk to an elderly man at the nursing home. Mostly they are forgotten or all their relatives are dead at that age. Hope he enjoys the button and 3 ringers you take him. This post really made my day.

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vino, your friend was probably telling you about his grandfather being a POW at Andersonville. I had a Great (X3) uncle was was a POW there, died of disease, and is buried in the National Cemetery there. A very solemn place and any soldier was grateful to have survived it. Your friend, and his booklet are super finds. Sub 8-)

Upvote 0

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What a great little treasure, George! Who says you can't find treasures in PA in the winter? The link above was filmed at a Civil War reunion and I thought it was a perfect addition to your post. Hope ya'll agree.

Upvote 0

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool gift that he gave you and you have for him. Of course the real gift is the time that you took to talk with him and listen to his stories. Even as a kid I've always loved to listen to old folks tell their stories and about the past. I wish that I had that opportunity more often these days. That is always near the top of my list of great finds.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
our elders are often living history lessons if one but takes the time to listen...

Upvote 0

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my grandfather would tell me stories about various relatives during the civil war, one was about an uncle that was on his way back home to work for a couple of weeks and then head back. the uncle hid under a large brush pile while union soldiers poked the pile with their bayonets as they checked the area for confederates, fortunately they failed to find him. another relative was working his way home when late one evening he came across a couple living under a overhang of rock. the couple invited him to stay the night with them in the dry and to eat with them. the meal for the night was a bucket of hickory nuts and they broke open with rocks. they didn't much to offer but they offered and shared what they had. another relative was a blacksmith that several times worked for both sides, a few times on the same day... we still have most of his blacksmith things, the forge, a very old heavy vise and numerous other items. those type of stories are gone unless we somehow keep them alive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great gift from him to you and he knew this would probably be lost when he passed and wanted someone who had an interest to have it. What a generous man and God bless him and thank you for taking time to talk to an elderly man at the nursing home. Mostly they are forgotten or all their relatives are dead at that age. Hope he enjoys the button and 3 ringers you take him. This post really made my day.

Glad you enjoyed seeing this,
So i gave the man the 3 ringers and button and he told my thank you but they would look better in a case with the booklet. .
He said no one would appreciate them when he is gone, I should keep them..
Great man..

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love making friends with the older people. They knew what life was all about. They lived life to the fullest and earned every day. Those were the days

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great gift - Wow ! My Mother had an uncle (Loyd) who visited us many years ago (late 80's ?) he related a story of a time
when he was a young boy , his grandfather took him out to the Gettysburg battle field and told him of seeing the conflict from some
distance away . I was struck by the living connection in this oral history to this uniquely important (and tragic ) event in our nation's
history .

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is awesome!

My son and I have marched in the Gettysburg Remebrance Day parade (remembers Lincoln's Gettysburg address) for the past few years and fought with the 13th Virginia Infantry in the 150th anniversary of the great battle there (we lost... again). I am happy to see an item like this go to someone who appreciates and will preserve it.

Any chance we can get the grandfather's name?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are notes of a first-hand account of the 50th encampment at Gettysburg in July 1913:

SUVCW -- Patriotic Recollections

Wow Thanks Matt,
I believe his Grandfather's name was Haaf..I can find out for sure tomorrow. .
That was a great read..thanks
Oh by the way have you ever seen that booklet before??
Can't seem to find it anywhere on the net..I believe it was only given to the Vets???
George

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just noticed that the flag on the pamphlet. is from 1896-1908 based on the number of stars. It's not important but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just noticed that the flag on the pamphlet. is from 1896-1908 based on the number of stars. It's not important but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Doubter - I suspect the American flag printing plate used on the flyer was made during that time. Good eye!

I looked on the internet a little for similar items but didn't find many things related to the 50th reunion (except photos). I did see a medal from the 50th that sold on ebay for @ $30.

I doubt there were many civlian spectators. Maybe some media. It wasn't like they were re-enacting the battle or putting on a show like we do today. It seems like this was an event geared specifically towards veterans. So it is very possible that these were given to veterans only.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread