A Person Can Only Take So Much!!!

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been nasty in DC and I'm not talking about the politicians. Today was mild so I got out for only 20 minutes-- the next storm is set to hit tomorrow.

My finds were like the weather. The only interesting thing I found was this small piece of metal. Because I think everything I find looks like a bullet, I'll leave this one to the more seasoned. No markings that I can see but I'm going to double-check with a high power loupe.

Don't fall asleep while reading this riveting dig story. :unhappy smiley:

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg IMG_2506.jpg IMG_2507.jpg IMG_2508.jpg

Upvote 7

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, I celebrate that you were able to get out and dig ANYTHING!

We still have at lest 2 1/2 + feet of standing snow plus the plowed mountainous monsters of the white stuff....dig? I think not!

Congrats on your casing what ever it turns out to be!

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, I celebrate that you were able to get out and dig ANYTHING!

We still have at lest 2 1/2 + feet of standing snow plus the plowed mountainous monsters of the white stuff....dig? I think not!

Congrats on your casing what ever it turns out to be!

You're right... I'm thankful I'm nowhere near Boston. PS-- It's Dudette. :icon_queen:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote not a bullet

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dude, I celebrate that you were able to get out and dig ANYTHING! We still have at lest 2 1/2 + feet of standing snow plus the plowed mountainous monsters of the white stuff....dig? I think not! Congrats on your casing what ever it turns out to be!

Msbeep- I was just feeling bad for myself with 12-18" standing by me in NNJ. I salute you folks in MA, and, Abe and the gang in ME!

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find! I hope all that snow melts soon.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad! Lol! I am a Dudette also!

Ya, we are going for the all time record for cold and snow totals and I'm sure we will beat it....cause it's snowing again now, another 3-6.

I just hope we have a record setting melting of the stuff, with out flooding....my ark is in for repair.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My bad! Lol! I am a Dudette also!

Ya, we are going for the all time record for cold and snow totals and I'm sure we will beat it....cause it's snowing again now, another 3-6.

I just hope we have a record setting melting of the stuff, with out flooding....my ark is in for repair.

I live to close to the Conn. River,water will probably be over the road,then again too..it will wash the river banks GOOD!! LOTS of buried goodies to be found yet.:laughing7:

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like DC is getting pounded as I speak. Up here in Central PA, we got approx. 2 -3 inches as of now, we are on the upper edge of the storm. Still, we got snow cover all over. Gonna be a late Spring, waiting, and waiting.............Rich

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a fuse to me,can you post a few pictures of the top?

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully someone way more knowledgeable about civil war artifacts will see your post, but in my opinion you may have a canteen spout or possibly a regulation candle holder. Im just throwing these ideas out here but it is pretty small. It may be something. Also keep in mind Washington D.C. had several forts around it during the war. TONS of troop activity took place within the city during the war.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but it looks like a primer cartridge (semantics?) to an artillery shell. It screwed into the rear of the shell and held the primer charge which when hit by the firing pin would then explode and set off the main charge, thus firing the shell out of the field gun. I've recovered similar-looking items from WW2 wrecks in my area... looks just like that.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thoughts.... the pics were taken with my phone. I'll take a few with my professional camera.

It's worth repeating that I live near CW forts & batteries and across the street from a WW1 ammunition testing site.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At first glance I didn't note the size of the object so maybe it is a primer cartridge? I've never seen a fuse that small but it sure has the look.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a firing pin mechanism to me. The back of a cartridge where the primer is slides into that slot you see in the picture. The actual firing pin should be inside right where that hole is. The slot holds the cartridge while the actual firing pin thrusts out through that little hole. I think:dontknow: Mike

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not to awfully far away from where you are and I am feeling your snow pain.Just when the stuff was starting to melt away too.I was thinking a fuse at first sight,but as mentioned before way to small.Interesting whatever it is.Maybe give it a shot in the what is it forum.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like something round slides into the recess and a pin comes up through. I'm gonna guess part of the dies to a handheld or table eyelet/snap fastener attachment tool. Older version of these . . .

SnapsDies_Metal-Line24.jpg

il_340x270.634171186_bv93.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread