Other

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool! Keep going there...Great finds!

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats C.P , nice early cobs and some cool artefacts , a good day out ..cheers Mick

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another great hunt! Couldn't emagine finding 2 cobs in one hunt, just awesome. One nice pile of relics to go along with the silver, liking them buckles. Can't wait to see what you pull out of there next! Just get up with me if you need help digging lol. HH!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cross potent you don't want me to say what I think of your finds , These sites that you are hunting are unreal and you are one lucky guy. Man I cant wait till this storm passes suppose to get over a foot of snow and the temps start to rise for you make a person go into withdrawls with all them 1700s relics like the buckle well all of it.I will be watching for more , good luck.vanzutphen

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the obviously fantastic hunt, had to be even more special to be hunting with your wife. congrats again

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats - Man, you are just making total killer finds out in that field. You must be quite excited to be getting out on such a productive site. I know the end of brass attachment on the ring appears threaded, but I'm certain that I've seen pipe tampers similar in appearance, though the threads don't make sense. The cobs are awesome. Two is 20 minutes - Oh God! The only thing that I've seen happen in 20 minutes for the past few months is an inch of snowfall!

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The ring with the threaded end on the stem coming from it, reminds of candle holder handles in shape/form, that's a route I would pursue in a id

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds!....Congrats!!

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cobs. I'm pretty sure the threaded piece is a georgian pocket corkscrew/pipe tamper with the bottom section lost.
The last photo on this web page shows both an intact and broken example

C J's Metal Detecting Pages

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a site I wouldn't mind having, lots of potential to come form here.:thumbsup: Your threaded piece is a horse reign guide.:thumbsup:

SS

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dirty dog! At it again I see with your beautiful old coins and relics. What an incredible site you're on. Mass silver, multiple Cobs, beautiful early buckles....and the list goes on. Really happy for you my friend. You're living every colonial hunters dream

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Colonial site. I'd be on a total high every minute swinging over ground like that.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cobbs are beautiful!, that's an amazing site,I bet every digable tone gets ya excited, man keep pounding that place!!

tormes

Mar 1, 2015
Salamanca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, Whites Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats !!! Cross Potent, nice finds. On the big one I can see México City mint mark (M and O above), also assayer mark P, then this mint/assayer/type only can be 2 reales, king Philip IV and although date zone is gone, it must be from 1641 or 1654 (perhaps 1653, 1655 or 1657, but I dont know if these types of issues are similars to yours). For 2 reales diameter must be 25 mm. , weight 6,76 gr. and silver fineness .931.

t.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hot diggity dog! Starting off in the rain and then scoring 2 cobs...that's called passion for one's hobby!

Great scores!

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice cobs. I'm pretty sure the threaded piece is a georgian pocket corkscrew/pipe tamper with the bottom section lost.
The last photo on this web page shows both an intact and broken example

C J's Metal Detecting Pages

Wow. Thanks for that link! 100% it is an old pocket corkscrew. Fitting for my wife to find this - she loves her wine. lol

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just taking notice that although there are plenty of coins, leather ornaments and other relics at this site, the buttons are relatively few. Seems as though if this was a heavily occupied area your button count would be considerably higher. Very strange. And usually when this much silver is present there's a good chance a tavern or inn was on the site, or a busy plantation. If it's a plantation site, there will be several other outbuildings with their own iron patches and relics. Regardless, you should be able to find a sizable trash pit(s) there. I know I've mentioned that multiple times, but your best finds could actually come from the pits if you can be fortunate enough to locate them. In many cases, the 17th century pits were located in close proximity to the structure so if you can find the major iron patch the pits should be lurking close-by. Good luck!

Yes I cant get over how sparse the buttons are. I'll count them up but it may only be 30 - 50. Many of them are cast pewter. I'm planning on asking the farmer if I can lease approx 2 acres this winter to prevent him from planting wheat otherwise with him planting corn and then wheat and then soybeans and then considering deer hunting season we wont get into this site again until feb 2017. That stinks. Anyway that brings me to your idea on an old inn. I found this link to calculate the land I want to lease and so I just went in and figured the area of the iron beds and its easily an acre or more. None of my other sites are even close to that large. I mean not half that.

Google Maps Area Calculator Tool

There is no question multiple buildings sat on this site but appear to have been fairly close together. Although the iron never really stops there are super concentrations that even my Deus has serious problems with. These are areas we plan to dig up starting next week. What I have noticed is there is so much iron in these areas that it appears its masking targets immediately beneath. Meaning we can just clear 3 or 4 inches off say a 20' x 30' area at a time to reveal even more relics. Neither of the cobs was deep - just a few inches. The farmer says we can leave the areas excavated overnight. He's really, really cool. If I had time I'd get a Bobcat back here. But he said they'll be spreading manure and working it in next month. Not enough time due to this whacky weather.

No doubt this is a very special place. I feel convinced it will produce many amazing things yet and will most likely be the best place I ever hunted without question. My only question of an inn here would be why is there so much widespread iron? Just crazy amounts of iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread