Old small town curb/walk excavation yields variety

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Spent 4 hours at a small town on U.S. 40 about 18 miles from home. The walk and curb were pulled on the North side of Main street, but sand had already been compacted for the replacement walk and the new curbs poured. On the South side, the curb has not been poured and most of the walks are still in.I had to scan the scuffed strip and the curb dirt piled in the strip between the walk and curb. My XLT was making too much noise on my custom setting so I used the factory coin program. Got $1.29 in coins (9 dimes (1942-D & 1950-D), 1 nickel, 25 memorial cents, 8 wheats (20,44,44,46,46D,47D,49,53D), 1 indian (1888). Sad the Indian head cent has a blister on the back edge. The mercury dime was the first coin of the day.
Now I need to time my next visit for after the Southside sidewalks come out and before the new sidewalk base goes in.
INTERESTING: One house was 20 feet from the sidewalk. Some people were on the porch, which was on the side of the house. When I got to the strip in front of the house, I noticed a nice shiny dime on the surface, a foot from that another dime. Looking around that area I saw a quarter, several more dimes, and some pennies. I don't know what their plan was, but I just ignored the coins, moved on several feet, and started on down the strip looking for something to DIG.

Attachments

• 29Aprilfinds1.jpg
    29Aprilfinds1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 926
  • 29Aprilfinds2.jpg
    29Aprilfinds2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 926
  • 29Aprilfinds3.jpg
    29Aprilfinds3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 923
  • 29Aprilfinds4.jpg
    29Aprilfinds4.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 919
Upvote 0

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! People are too weird, aren't they? Ignoring the people on the porch was probably a smart move.

HH

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I love the silver and Indian Head. All look good.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

Gotta love when people throw money at you when you are detecting because they think you are poor and that they are helping you out, haha.

T

TreasureTales

Nice haul. Depending on the looks of the people, I would not have ignored the coins. I gotta LOL, one time I was detecting a lake shore in front of a restaurant. The folks on the dining patio would throw coins into the water and I'd happily scoop them up. They must have enjoyed watching a fat old woman getting those coins because I made a tidy little sum that day. You know what they say, Liberace cried all the way to the bank. :D

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
;D Great finds! ;D

Not sure about the people on the porch, but I am a firm believer in trusting your instincts !! They may have been testing you to see if your metal detector worked ;)

I myself enjoy walking, especially in the early morning . . as walking I collect cans to help clean up the neighborhood & turn them in for some cash ;D When the weather was cooler I wore this very large very worn out coat, so more then likely I made an interesting site as collecting cans . . apparently interesting enough to have one guy yell from his house "Little girl! Little girl! You can make some money by cleaning out my gutters!". . hhmm :-\ . . something about how he said "Little Girl" & "gutters" made me & my "little legs" high tail it out of there!! :o

Anyhoot . . great finds! ;D

Bogart :D

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is why i like to detect where no one bothers me.........or get far enough away so they can't throw something your way.......

onetime some teens were tiring to figure out how to "fool the detector guy", i guess the throw money in front of him was not a option for some reason, and they were tiring to get me to dig a "piss spot" or "dog crap"..........so i pretended to get a real good jewelry hit, got them all to help me dig it, help pinpoint it, told them how deep it was......while they were busy i slowly backed away.......and disappeared behind some brush.........they never could find me........i had the last laugh......watching them dig to china!!!!

HH

T

TreasureTales

exanimo redux said:
Nice coins - keep on the lookout - those construction sites can yield some real goodies. In my younger years of detecting I was more concerned with people watching me - now I could care less - I would detect the outfield of Yankee Stadium during a game if they would let me. And if a "plumbers crack" happens to appear from time to time hopefully someone will donate a quarter to this coinshooters toll-booth.

LMAO!!! (pun intended).

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds you got there...Way to go!!!

There is something about somebody with a metal detector that attracts some pretty odd birds. I too have had people throw money out in front of me. I pick it up and go on about my business and act like I didn't see what happened. I have always carried a knife around 13 inches long to dig with and make sure the ones that act funny see it. I think most of them just want to see the show. Maybe some of them do think we are doing it to just make ends meet. I had a kid ask me one time if I was from outer space, LOL!!!

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
People have put coins in front of me too,they are just looking for something to entertain themselves. Sometimes you also get the kids that want to help you dig. I would just let them help me poke around a couple of trash holes,before discouraging them. By the way, nice coins!!

OP
OP
hoosierfinds

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
bogeymcq said:
;D Great finds! ;D

Not sure about the people on the porch, but I am a firm believer in trusting your instincts !! They may have been testing you to see if your metal detector worked ;)

I myself enjoy walking, especially in the early morning . . as walking I collect cans to help clean up the neighborhood & turn them in for some cash ;D When the weather was cooler I wore this very large very worn out coat, so more then likely I made an interesting site as collecting cans . . apparently interesting enough to have one guy yell from his house "Little girl! Little girl! You can make some money by cleaning out my gutters!". . hhmm :-\ . . something about how he said "Little Girl" & "gutters" made me & my "little legs" high tail it out of there!! :o

Anyhoot . . great finds! ;D

Bogart :D

At home that night, I thought I should have picked up the coins and gone over to ask them if they "lost" the coins. Possibly leading to a conversation and then getting permission to search their yard. The house was probably over 100 years old. Too late now.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Hey...I live in Richmond and congrats on the goodies, if thats the town I'm thinking of I should kick my butt because I've meant to hit a couple of those small towns for the last year!! Hope you get back and dig more goodies!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Hoosier. I mounted a "TIPS" can on my detector for folks that want to throw their $ my way. :D
Great job,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions