Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out with Shanegalang and Diggergirl to dig some holes today and had a great day. Here is the video:

When we first got there, Shang came up to me with a solid silver spoon in his hand. The maker of the spoon was M. Scooler from New Orleans (late 1800s). Then on the very first row he eyeballed an 1855-O Seated Half Dime! Things were certainly looking up for Shang. Then next thing I know he's got a .44 cal conical pistol bullet. DG and I had some catching up to do! Before we could even wrap our brains around how much ole Shangalangalangalang was killing us, he was yelling "Hi Ho!" and we knew that he had yet another piece of SILVER! This time it was an 1839-O Seated Half Dime! For a while we were just treading water, then he comes running with a plantation token. :BangHead:

OK, so I saw a ray of sunshine with a couple of flat buttons and a powder flask top. Then I eyeballed a trade bead and dug a toe tap. DG got a couple tiny ball buttons. She was lucky enough to get a GS staff officer's button the previous dig (when Shang dug the coveted KMI button!). I haven't posted the GS button yet, so here it is. A nice 3 piece with a trace of gilding around the rim.

HPIM5124.JPG

At any rate, Shang eventually decided he'd found enough and headed home, so DG and I decided to detect a little longer then hit the road ourselves. I was some distance from the truck when I saw DG head that way, and I knew that she was pretty much done for the day. I headed toward the vehicle and got a nice hit right on the top of a row. Out flopped a two-piece button. Knowing that these are most often military I bend down and saw that it had a perfect shank on the back.

184_0989.JPG

I rolled the cameras. When I got the button in my hand, I could tell that I was staring at a Civil War Louisiana Pelican! :headbang: Then I decided to head for the truck and was just walking trailing my detector, not even swinging the coil and got a decent signal. Sounded like a pack rivet. I dug and out popped our Third Seated for the day--an 1858-O Half Dime! 8-)

HPIM5125.JPG HPIM5126.JPG

I turned my detector off and walked to the vehicle and drove home.

Here are the finds photos. First off, Shang's pocketful of New Orleans Silver, plantation token, and pistol bullet:

IMG_1887.JPG IMG_1888.JPG IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1892.JPG

Here are DiggerGirl's finds. Three two-piece button button backs but no complete button on this hunt. Backmarks: one says "superior quality" and two say "Scovill Waterbury."

HPIM5135.JPG

And my finds. I need a little assistance narrowing down the variety of the Pelican button. Blank back, rope border, lined background.

HPIM5127.JPG HPIM5128.JPG

HPIM5129.JPG HPIM5130.JPG HPIM5131.JPG

HPIM5133.JPG HPIM5134.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck, DG, Shang-o-lang

Upvote 44
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man 3 seated silver in one hunt is fantastic, id be lying if I said I wasn't super jealous!, great hunt as always guys!!!

Thanks so much for your reply! Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great post. I like the way you do your video of the find then a still shot of it cleaned. That is a lot of work. You guys and gal found the silver again. Do you find many of the trade items or do you think the bead was associated with a rosary . Anyways good fun and thanks for sharing with us.
HH

Great to hear from you, Tnmountains. Takes some extra time to do, but I enjoy showing the finds as dug and again after.

I used to think that every bead was a trade bead of some sort. There are different trades that folks don't hear about often. Most folks assume trade with Native Americans. There are also slave trade, sugar trade, and palm oil trade beads, to name a few. Most of the ones we find fit with either the "Russian Blue" faceted glass kind, or one of the other trade bead types. BUT they also fit with historical rosary bead types. So I'm not sure that there's any way to know about these simple, colored ones that aren't faceted. It is Catholic Country after all...

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! Loved the video and your post is well done. Keep em coming!! I commented on your video as RelicMedic. Everyone should subscribe to you and Shane. Good stuff!

Thanks, ACE! Glad you like the vid and post.

Cheers,

Buck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hear from you, Tnmountains. Takes some extra time to do, but I enjoy showing the finds as dug and again after.

I used to think that every bead was a trade bead of some sort. There are different trades that folks don't hear about often. Most folks assume trade with Native Americans. There are also slave trade, sugar trade, and palm oil trade beads, to name a few. Most of the ones we find fit with either the "Russian Blue" faceted glass kind, or one of the other trade bead types. BUT they also fit with historical rosary bead types. So I'm not sure that there's any way to know about these simple, colored ones that aren't faceted. It is Catholic Country after all...

Perfect explanation on the different trades. It in itself would be an interesting topic. I never thought of it that way as here I only find Native American. I read once about a guy that hunted the old plantation roads in the summer and that those roads had been there since they raised sugar. He would find much that was dropped from the comings and goings.
Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect explanation on the different trades. It in itself would be an interesting topic. I never thought of it that way as here I only find Native American. I read once about a guy that hunted the old plantation roads in the summer and that those roads had been there since they raised sugar. He would find much that was dropped from the comings and goings.
Thanks for the reply.

We find a lot on the roads and turn rows too. They have largely remained unchanged for 200 years. BUT, that's not as good as finding sites--it just tides us over if we are ever hard up for a place to go...

-Buck

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good digs, no matter how the finds were divided up.

It's going to be quite awhile before I even see bare ground, this has been one heck of a winter.

Good luck out there.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Awesome hunt once again.
Great Coins.
Super Sweet LA, Button..No restoration on that one.
Very Cool.
Davers

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Awesome hunt once again.
Great Coins.
Super Sweet LA, Button..No restoration on that one.
Very Cool.
Davers

Thanks for the reply, Davers! I was absolutely stoked to find a complete one with only minor plow damage.

Cheers,

Buck

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't hear any " F " bombs, but I thought Shane was gonna bust out in a moonwalk when he grabbed his crotch once:tongue3:.You guys find so much " O " silver that I believe that beautiful blue bead is my favorite find. Thanks for another great post and video for us up here in the artic. You guys and gal are awesome,

p.s. I bet if things ever get slow detecting, Shane could probably make some bucks teaching ModernMiner the correct way to use a Tesoro:laughing7:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't hear any " F " bombs, but I thought Shane was gonna bust out in a moonwalk when he grabbed his crotch once:tongue3:.You guys find so much " O " silver that I believe that beautiful blue bead is my favorite find. Thanks for another great post and video for us up here in the artic. You guys and gal are awesome,

p.s. I bet if things ever get slow detecting, Shane could probably make some bucks teaching ModernMiner the correct way to use a Tesoro:laughing7:

Now that's hilarious! I'd be happy to put Shane in a box and mail him to ModernMiner's house for that lesson--and I could have some peace and quiet on a hunt LOL. Ya know, I saw that crotch grab in the video and thought "what the hell, I'll leave it in there." :laughing9:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that crotch grab in the video and thought "what the hell, I'll leave it in there." :laughing9:

hey if ya got an itch, gotta scratch it, I don't even want to tell where OldDude put his lesche once to get that itch lol!!!!:laughing7::laughing7::tongue3:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow very nice finds indeed. Looks like you guys have found another great field to hunt. Thanks for the great photos and wishing you continued success

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey if ya got an itch, gotta scratch it, I don't even want to tell where OldDude put his lesche once to get that itch lol!!!!:laughing7::laughing7::tongue3:

Doesn't sound like you'll be borrowing his digging tool if you leave yours at home. Use your fingernails instead LOL

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Another great hunt.........I run out of things to say.........the Canefield Bandits strike again :)

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds Buck, amazing how much silver you all pulled out of that field! :occasion14:

My favourite of your finds has to be the LA Pelican button and the beautiful blue trade bead.

Always enjoy your posts my friend, :thumbsup:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread