Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out with Shanegalang and Diggergirl to dig some holes today and had a great day. Here is the video:

When we first got there, Shang came up to me with a solid silver spoon in his hand. The maker of the spoon was M. Scooler from New Orleans (late 1800s). Then on the very first row he eyeballed an 1855-O Seated Half Dime! Things were certainly looking up for Shang. Then next thing I know he's got a .44 cal conical pistol bullet. DG and I had some catching up to do! Before we could even wrap our brains around how much ole Shangalangalangalang was killing us, he was yelling "Hi Ho!" and we knew that he had yet another piece of SILVER! This time it was an 1839-O Seated Half Dime! For a while we were just treading water, then he comes running with a plantation token. :BangHead:

OK, so I saw a ray of sunshine with a couple of flat buttons and a powder flask top. Then I eyeballed a trade bead and dug a toe tap. DG got a couple tiny ball buttons. She was lucky enough to get a GS staff officer's button the previous dig (when Shang dug the coveted KMI button!). I haven't posted the GS button yet, so here it is. A nice 3 piece with a trace of gilding around the rim.

HPIM5124.JPG

At any rate, Shang eventually decided he'd found enough and headed home, so DG and I decided to detect a little longer then hit the road ourselves. I was some distance from the truck when I saw DG head that way, and I knew that she was pretty much done for the day. I headed toward the vehicle and got a nice hit right on the top of a row. Out flopped a two-piece button. Knowing that these are most often military I bend down and saw that it had a perfect shank on the back.

184_0989.JPG

I rolled the cameras. When I got the button in my hand, I could tell that I was staring at a Civil War Louisiana Pelican! :headbang: Then I decided to head for the truck and was just walking trailing my detector, not even swinging the coil and got a decent signal. Sounded like a pack rivet. I dug and out popped our Third Seated for the day--an 1858-O Half Dime! 8-)

HPIM5125.JPG HPIM5126.JPG

I turned my detector off and walked to the vehicle and drove home.

Here are the finds photos. First off, Shang's pocketful of New Orleans Silver, plantation token, and pistol bullet:

IMG_1887.JPG IMG_1888.JPG IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1892.JPG

Here are DiggerGirl's finds. Three two-piece button button backs but no complete button on this hunt. Backmarks: one says "superior quality" and two say "Scovill Waterbury."

HPIM5135.JPG

And my finds. I need a little assistance narrowing down the variety of the Pelican button. Blank back, rope border, lined background.

HPIM5127.JPG HPIM5128.JPG

HPIM5129.JPG HPIM5130.JPG HPIM5131.JPG

HPIM5133.JPG HPIM5134.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck, DG, Shang-o-lang

Upvote 44
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn, Buckle you are still killing it. Nice finds in any ones book. When are you going back to Kentucky??

I miss my good friends up there. Will probably head back soon. BTW--I just can't believe it. I dug today--ANOTHER Pelican! Will post it once I get the finds all cleaned...

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Buck, amazing how much silver you all pulled out of that field! :occasion14:

My favourite of your finds has to be the LA Pelican button and the beautiful blue trade bead.

Always enjoy your posts my friend, :thumbsup:
Dave

Thanks so much, Dave. I appreciate your reply. Nice appearance in W&E Treasures Magazine by the way! Congrats!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Buck! Glad to see your persistence & perseverance in the passion we all share!! Hope you strike gold soon!!! Oh, I guess you have in some of your amazing finds!!!!:thumbsup:

IM

Ever since that jerk, I mean Digging "Buddy" Shane put that fake gold coin in the ground for me to find, I can't stop thinking about digging a gold coin or some sort of old gold jewelry here...

-Buck

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well we did tape a quarter to the bottom of the coil. :D was the only way either of us would find something when she was along.

The pelican total is 5 for me and 1 for DiggerGirl since 2012. Any idea on the variety of this one? I don't see one with a rope border and a blank back. ???

Five?!! That's obscene! I just want ONE. Oh, for just one . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I miss my good friends up there. Will probably head back soon. BTW--I just can't believe it. I dug today--ANOTHER Pelican! Will post it once I get the finds all cleaned...

OK, just saw this after my post. Now you're just being obnoxious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread