🥇 BANNER Incredible early 1600s sword basket hilt recovered + 1580s jetton and more!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
This weekend I was finally able to escape the seemingly perpetual cabin fever mode I'd been in lately after only getting out for one short hunt over the last 5 weeks. I started things off by hooking up with my good friend Joey to make the long trek back to the county that produced the Lord Baltimore sixpence. Joey had recently discovered that the owner of the Lord Baltimore tract was also in control of another nearby land patent site, and we tried to contact him for the go-ahead. But we went by his house 3 different times during the day but could never catch him home. So we were forced to hit an old site, and managed to get into a couple of small, new ones, and didn't get into the production we had hoped for, but we did manage a few keepers. We hope to go back soon and secure permission for the first site as it has high potential based on Joey's research.

I decided to play hooky from church on Sunday, and met up with my buddy Dan for our first hunt since the end of January. Our first stop was at an old site, but one where Dan had ran into a little 1600s hotspot in the woods not long ago. We pounded the area, but in spite of a large field of small iron and brick, we could not pull out any real keepers. We then moved on to another previously hunted site, the one that produced the rattlesnake and stars button on our last hunt there, but things were a bit slow there as well. We then made our way to an adjacent field where we had researched a small 200 acre land patent dating all the way back to 1619, and one that we'd been eyeing for quite some time. After a long walk we came to the narrow peninsula and started noticing brick frags scattered about. We turned our machines on, and I hadn't walked 5 feet when I heard the first signal. It was rather low on the scale, and I wasn't expecting much, but I was shocked when a 1580s Hans Krauwinkle jetton popped out. This is my 4th jetton, and all have come from the very earliest sites so this provided for a little bit of excitement. Dan also made a nice find, but I'll leave that for him to post. At that point we had high hopes for a hammered coin to appear, but the targets were surprisingly few and far between. About halfway into hunting that spot I heard a large, deep iron signal that had the potential to be an indicator for an early trash pit. About 12-18" down I encountered a large iron object, and was expecting it to be a colonial hoe. When I reached down to pull it out I could tell it was obviously not a hoe, but more of a coconut shaped artifact. Dan came over and at first we were puzzled, but then he quickly suggested it just might be a very early sword basket hilt, and after we knocked a little more of the dirt off and saw the intricate designs cut into it we were convinced that's what I had just unearthed. A similar one was recovered from Jamestown a few years ago, and I saw several others like it on the web. From the info I gathered it could date anywhere from the late 1500s to the mid-1600s, and was part of a broad or backsword (single edge blade). Definitely a rare, museum quality piece, and one of the coolest things I've ever dug. I have it in the electrolysis tank now, and hopefully it'll clean up before it falls apart. But its pretty substantial so its got a good chance to survive.

Later we secured another permission for what appeared to be a killer spot - a high flat plateau along a well-know early colonial creek, but it was totally devoid of any period artifacts. At the end of the day we wanted to check out one last spot that we've been wanting to get into, but we found out the owner had moved and the house was vacant. We still decided to make a quick drive back to check out the field, but the soybeans had never been cut. But then we we got involved in an unpleasant situation, and I'll leave that for Dan to explain in his post. When we finally resolved the issue we both agreed it was time to call it a day.

Attachments

• 030815a.jpg
    030815a.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 680
  • 030815b.jpg
    030815b.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 030815c.jpg
    030815c.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 534
  • 030815d.jpg
    030815d.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 525
  • 030815e.jpg
    030815e.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 521
  • 030815f.jpg
    030815f.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 030815g.jpg
    030815g.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 530
  • 030815h.jpg
    030815h.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 610
  • 030815i.jpg
    030815i.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 662
  • 030815j.jpg
    030815j.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 608
  • 030815k.jpg
    030815k.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 64

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bill, what a fantastic discovery. Talk about you historical relics, it doesn't get much better then that hilt and the jetton. Congrats, banner for sure.
ZDD

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it the the guard of a Rapier style weapon? As big as it looks I would say cutlass/Sabre. Was it a point weapon or cutting weapon?

That is on my wish list just an old sword guard would be great. You need to look at preservation and I look forward to seeing it.
Great day for sure.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill that is an incredible piece of history. Wow! Something you just would never expect to find. Congrats on a great day after lots of frustration with the weather

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing find - I've never seen anything like that posted here ! Can someone please remind me of what a Jetton is ?

SOSDIVING

Apr 2, 2014
Wake Forest, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter PI
White's Surfmaster II VLF
Tesoro Bandido II VLF
Tesoro Cibola VLF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, HOLDING HISTORY, where someone else did. Thanks for sharing and identifying, perfect match

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing find - I've never seen anything like that posted here ! Can someone please remind me of what a Jetton is ?

I don't think anyone knows what a Jetton is, lol. Some say a coin weight and others say a token. There were a ton of them in circulation though. Maybe Cru will give a better explanation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

A jetton is a very thin brass or copper piece, frequently mistaken for a European coin, that used as a counter or mathematical aid in much the same way as an abacus. They were produced in several countries, but Germany seemed to have eventually cornered the market. All 4 I've dug are of German origin, and manufactured by Hans Krauwinkle in the late 1500s. They were also use in early colonial times for trade with the Indians.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is amazing.I wonder if the rest of the sword is nearby.congrats on those finds

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I really can't say. Since at Jamestown they've recovered broadswords, back swords, rapiers and cultasses I guess it could be from any of those. But it was obviously manufactured in England and brought over by one of the earliest colonists to this area. Be nice to find the blade as maybe that would solve the mystery of the artifact's identity. I'm waiting to hear back from my contact at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation so hopefully he can provide some more specifics.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing early finds. Just curious, what made you dig that iron? Because of the size and shape did it come in above the 30s??
Oh PS, definately a Banner, my vote is in..

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really can't say. Since at Jamestown they've recovered broadswords, back swords, rapiers and cultasses I guess it could be from any of those. But it was obviously manufactured in England and brought over by one of the earliest colonists to this area. Be nice to find the blade as maybe that would solve the mystery of the artifact's identity. I'm waiting to hear back from my contact at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation so hopefully he can provide some more specifics.

I vote banner as well .I am thinking the size at the base where the sword came out of the guard might be an answer. Also if it was a point weapon for dueling the holes in the guard would be miserable as the wrist is always your closest target. My guess would be cutlass (maybe) haha. What a good find.

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's all good Bill but the basket is a rare find and BANNER worthy. I have never seen one dug and shown on the net or anywhere. I'm formally voting banner. You can't just say the word banner-you must hit the red "Nominate Banner" at the beginning of the post. Congrats Bill, Q.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool find Bill,it is neat it held up over the years. But I've seen iron do that even here on the coast. As it will build a hard crust up that sorta preserves it as long as it stays damp/wet. But once it begins to dry it just crumbles to pieces. Never had anything I found that I really cared about as far as trying to save it. But you do there surely something to work on trying to keep it from breaking apart.Very Nice man!
Take Care,
Pete

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a remarkable recovery and for a well deserved banner. I alway expect you to come up with some of the most unusual, quality early colonial relics based on your dedication and commitment to research and recovery.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unreal find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!vanzutphen

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome history recoveries! Congratulations!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Well I guess I am late to the party again. Those are some AWESOME FINDS Bill. I enjoyed seeing them all. CONGRATS are in order :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions