🥇 BANNER I am back in business

MARCVS

Sep 27, 2008
Europe
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White`s Eagle Spectrum II,White`s DFX,Minelab X-Terra 705,Minelab GPX 4500,White`s MX Sport,Minelab E-Trac,Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• kelt (1).jpg
    kelt (1).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 591
  • kelt (5).jpg
    kelt (5).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 600
Upvote 51

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful find and deadly weapon in any century. My Grandpa told me that beautiful things and deadly things go hand in hand, so I always dated ugly girls. lol
Grandma told me pretty is, is pretty does and that made all the difference.

bfalk

Mar 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is fantastic!! Lovely design. Wonder where it's from? Got any clues?

RebelYeller

May 6, 2014
Toano, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,
Tesoro Tejon,
White's VX3,
White's TRX,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
XP Deus, XP Deus 2, XP MI-6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very jealous! Great find!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find.
congrats.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it could be wrought iron, which were very individualistic and quirky alloys depending on where and how made. Some types were suitable for making tools and weapons by cold working the metal. Some types were rust resistant, and some types were very, very rust resistant. It all depended on which impurities were in the alloy and how much (copper, tin, etc. Wrought Iron with a high phosphorus content was the most rust resistant.)

I believe that a ulu shaped vegetable chopper made by my great grandfather in the late 19th century is wrought iron. He was not a smith, per se, and probably cold worked a piece of wrought iron he got hold of into the form of a chopper. Superficially, the surface looks somewhat similar to your Celtic piece, especially on first glance. I've marveled at it's perfect condition, the color sort of a deep, very dark brown, a lot like a bronze patina, and without a spec of rust. With wrought iron, pieces centuries apart and found in widely varying environments can both appear to be in somewhat similar condition. Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my theory.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know everyone's tastes are different, but I believe this is the best piece posted on Tnet in the last couple years at least. The design of that is beautiful. Congrats on the most deserving banner find I have seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions