mexican coin

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well , RIGHT NOW TODAY : 1 Peso is equil to .0898800 Cents U.S. . so 100 pesos would be $8.988 U.s.? ?Collector Value ?? ? by the way, If you try to post a pic, Don't hit Preview just Post. Preview dosn't work Properly

PJB (Ohio)

Jan 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on the date. Mexico changed the value of their currency sometime around 1989, if I remember the date correctly. A 100 peso coin dated earlier than that date would be worth maybe a few cents. If it's a coin with a more recent date, it would be worth about $8.80.

I dug up a 1000 Peso coin, and I was overjoyed to see it was worth $88 bucks. Until I realized the date was in the 80's... oh well!

J

Jim Cal

How big is a 1000 Peso coin...about 3 lbs. Just kidding--I've got several Mexican peso coins in real silver and they are beautiful coins. Jim Cal

PJB (Ohio)

Jan 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, those silver coins must be nice! The 1000 peso coin is big and hefty... about the size of a half-dollar, but much thicker. You really get a sense of "big money" when you hold it, but not so much when you actually look up it's value! I would guess that it's made of the same alloy as the Sacagawea dollar from the looks of it.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, got a lot of them still sitting around here. Got a couple silver Mex coins that are at least worth their weight... Here's a sampler of the ones I've found. And PJB, my 1000 peso is a 1988, darn. Got one that's marked $5 dated '97. We need coins like that in this country!

Attachments

• mexcoins.jpg
    mexcoins.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,905

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I lived in El Paso when they did the switch on the mexican currency. It happened in 1991 or 92, and they call them neuavo Peso or new peso. They basically dropped 2 zeros off everything that was 100 and up. 100 peso became 1 peso and so-on. I went down to Cabo San Lucas last 4th of July and did some detecting. Its very cool because the most common coin you find on the beach is the 10 peso coin which was worth almost a dollar. I would go out from the hotel, down to the beach about 7 or 8:00PM , and MD until about midnight. If your wondering about the time, there are two reasons. My wife does not detect so she gets my daytime hours. AND, have you ever tried to detect a beach with 20 or so adorable little Mexican kids following you around? Pretty hard to do. Every signal, even if it is trash, they dive to the ground and start digging. Cute at first, but after the 30th time......... well you know. By the way, here is a shot of my girls getting there hair braided on the beach.

Attachments

• 68bus,cabo,lake 016.jpg
    68bus,cabo,lake 016.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,529

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread