Oddballs from the Confederate trench - Good to be back in the woods.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging in the DEEP bottom of a trench from an early war (1862) battle. About to cover the hole and Mudduck swung his coil and heard another signal. More digging and up popped a pewter button!

DSCN0448.JPG

Sure looked like a block I - it was a solid-cast. Turned out to have nothing on the front that I could see. So civilian, but I'm happy with it. Mudduck found the end of a ramrod from a .69 cal smoothbore and many bullets. Digging buddy found a perfect Eagle cuff in the creek.

DSCN0456.JPG

I ended up with the button, a 3-ringer that used to be in wood - just shreds of wood left on it, and a buck in wood, some P caps and bucks, and an enfield. All from the CS trench.

DSCN0472.JPG DSCN0474.JPG

Here's the oddball: This .69 cal 3 ringer hit a rock when it hit the trench. A piece of the rock was embedded in the nose of the bullet. I have found hundreds and hundreds of bullets and never seen that. Great hobby - always something new!

DSCN0475.JPG

Digging buddy found the eagle button, bullets and a Reed shell fragment.

DSCN0457.JPG

Here's the solid cast button after dry-toothpick cleaning . . .

DSCN0470.JPG DSCN0471.JPG

Taking some vacation days and hitting some new battle territory on some of those pretty days next week. Finally looking pretty again out there.

Upvote 11

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome saves! Glad you can get out there and find goodies! Hope you find some really awesome goodies! GL & HH!

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Must be a blast hunting a Confederate trench!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good way to kick off your season PW!! Lead looks good. Between bad weather and non-productive new sites, I have only dug 12 CW relics this year. WTG, Q.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Says to the above poster,I got nuttin.:tongue3: Parsonwalker looks like you did pretty well gotta love a bullet in wood,every relic hunters dream to find something like that.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digs, liking the lead in the wood also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread