Wisconsin Copper Complex Native Spear Point Found Today!

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Hi Guys and Gals!

Exciting find today on my first official 2015 dig near Green Bay, Wisconsin...

I found a few cool things today enjoying the spring-like weather, but here is my favorite. It's a Old Copper Complex Archaic Indian Spear Point. It dates from 4,000 to 6,000 years old (2,000-4,000 BC) and is made of copper. Found in the Green Bay, Wisconsin area today with a Garrett AT Pro approximately 6-8 inches deep. 8-)

Thanks for looking!! Happy Hunting!!

20150315_124544.jpg 20150315_124615.jpg

Upvote 26

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely spearhead. I can never get over how awesome these Native American artifacts are, congrats on the rare (and decently valuable) find!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find! We would love finding any old copper items like that out here =)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old native copper, now that a very nice find. Congrats on the piece and good luck on the return hunt.

OP
OP
jgospoda

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Thanks for the comments! It is my first and could be last, one never knows I suppose. Found in the most random place at a random time, literally harder than a needle in a haystack! :) Thanks again and happy hunting!

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about these things.

When they were made,,, were they hammered out of native copper or did they melt the raw copper then form the point?

There is some very old and obscure artifacts from your area and the U.P of Michigan according to the old accounts I have read over the years.

Hit

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments! It is my first and could be last, one never knows I suppose. Found in the most random place at a random time, literally harder than a needle in a haystack! :) Thanks again and happy hunting!

Very well put. The fact that you were not even looking for this item and you recognized it for what it is is very fortunate. I imagine over the years diggers have found similar copper artifacts and discarded them as scrap or slag. Congratulations on finding a once in a lifetime find!

Edit:
Forgot to mention that this is definitely banner worthy and I'll be submitting my vote!

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely worthy of being a Banner Find! Cheers!!

DigginYella

Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may or may not have found a cpl of those type items--be very careful of who you tell-even if private property --those historical artifact nazis will want to quarantine off the whole area and give you a fine for removing an indian artifact! --However----Very cool piece of pre-woodland history,I will say where you find one there, is usaully others!!

Btw I was never the same after finding and holding my first one(age & someones hands worked on that for a while)--kinda makes 1942 Merc. not so substantial-doesn't it?

Last edited:

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about these things.

When they were made,,, were they hammered out of native copper or did they melt the raw copper then form the point?

There is some very old and obscure artifacts from your area and the U.P of Michigan according to the old accounts I have read over the years.

Hit

They were cold hammered from what I was told. My brother and I have found quite a few different artifacts from the copper complex. All in the UP of Michigan.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic historical find! congratulations!

OP
OP
jgospoda

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Thanks again everyone for the comments! I am quite excited to find this Native Copper and will hope to go back tomorrow (Tuesday) for another look. You are correct, the spear points were made from pure copper and hammered and formed into their shape. The copper was not melted to make the points. I also agree with a post above that it could easily be mistaken for trash as one who digs a lot knows just how much trash we must dig to find a nice item. :) What I do personally is look over each item in the field and then take it all home to look over again when I have more time...you would be surprised at what trash becomes treasure once you look again! Thanks for the banner votes, I have never had one! It will be a challenge to be super excited with coin finds and some relics for a while... ;) Happy Hunting!

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great find. I learn something new. Banner vote.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery and thanks for the post and pictures

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find..... I found one in 2014 and it started a new look into what could be found in WI. If you want to find out more about your find you can contact Monette Bebow-Reinhard at [email protected] she is putting a database together and has been really helpful in my learning about copper point. Again great find.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426554800.799985.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgospoda

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Thanks for the input! You know what's crazy is I posted it on detect america Facebook group and someone else brought up her name. She friend requested me and we went from there. I wonder how to see her database? :) Cool find! I grew up in Mishicot/Two Rivers, but now live on the west side of Green Bay. Thanks! :)

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions