Awesome 18th Century Serpent Side Plate from Fowler! (circa 1730-1760) & other relics

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome 18th Century Serpent Side Plate from Fowler! (circa 1730-1760) & other relics

Hello all! I had a great time Friday & Saturday saving some history. My favorite find was the serpent side plate off of a flintlock fowler (dates to 1730-1760). This is actually one of my favorite finds period. I love the dragon design. Someone actually sent me a link to an original rifle that's an exact match! Hunting Guns in Colonial America We stumbled onto a colonial site that I suspect may be some sort of camp. There was not enough iron to be a homesite.

I also got out to a few other sites over the weekend & found a nice assortment of relics & coins. It was a beautiful day Saturday. It was nice to get out with some good friends & also make some new ones.

Thanks for looking & HH!
side_plate.png balls.png tombac.png melt.png knif.png silv.png stuf.png lock.png stuf2.png rabies.png forky.png whatsit.png call_button.png stuf3.png

Upvote 17

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That side plate is killer bud. Man what a cool find

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man, I know you're ready to get out. I can't wait to see what you find this coming year!

I have spent countless hours researching this winter. I have got some damn early sites lined up. Like 1614 early. Right up through the early 1800s. Should be a fun year. Looks like you're on a pretty early one yourself bud

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have spent countless hours researching this winter. I have got some damn early sites lined up. Like 1614 early. Right up through the early 1800s. Should be a fun year. Looks like you're on a pretty early one yourself bud

Hijacking his thread to talk about all your research and sites? The shame! Lol. Congrats on the great finds - I bet they're are more to come in that ground.

Abe - may the force be with you my friend until you get out for a hunt.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hijacking his thread to talk about all your research and sites? The shame! Lol. Congrats on the great finds - I bet they're are more to come in that ground.

Abe - may the force be with you my friend until you get out for a hunt.

I know I'm a sad substitute for a treasure hunter :-( but I plan on kicking the door down and making a grand entrance when I'm able to get out there lol. Sorry bout the hijack brother....that's what I've been reduced to

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I'm a sad substitute for a treasure hunter :-( but I plan on kicking the door down and making a grand entrance when I'm able to get out there lol. Sorry bout the hijack brother....that's what I've been reduced to

Well I hope you kick the door down so hard it knocks a New England shilling right outta the ground. Then it flies through the air all the way to NJ and in front of ME! Lol. Oh, the wait will be worth it buddy, don't worry.

Mangum, sorry again! Lol.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome side plate Josh - WTG!! Never seen one like that before.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful side plate! LOVE the dragon/snake design. I'm jealous of that find--and that is the mark of quality!

Congrats,

Buck

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool side plate, congrats of the find.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool relic man:headbang:

Now get out there and find the other piece...!

~Blaze~

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Josh. You got quite a haul over the weekend! GL&HH.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That side plate is fantastic. Nice thorough ID work as well. :read2:

Awesome finds.
I agree with STC, It would have taken me Years (if ever) to ID that one.
Love the other relics as well.
Davers

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I agree with STC, It would have taken me Years (if ever) to ID that one. Love the other relics as well. Davers
I used to do Rev War reenacting when I was younger & that knowledge helps me in IDing colonial relics once in a while. It's definitely my favorite period in American history

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece of side plate is a nice relic!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it? Looks like a canvas eye rivet from a tarp. Early one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread