If Peter Piper Hooked a Hook What Kind of Hook Would He Hook?

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a new pin pointer today (other one lost its mind out of pure boredom) and despite the mud and rain I went out back to my mini mine field of assorted metal mysteries.

After locating several targets, and missing them, today was one of those days I was just too lazy to put the headphones on again to better pinpoint the location. Sometimes I just dig holes and let the pin pointer see if anything is hanging around.

Sure enough, found a 1951 D Wheat Penny... one of a small jar full that I've found in my yard, the oldest from 1911.

IMG_2710.jpg

Found some other odds and ends, including a stainless steel spoon and a "re-found" hook. Every once in a while I'll drop something that I previously dug and then find it again. Yes, it happens.

IMG_2701.jpg

It looks to be hand forged, with four sides. Based on the measurements, it seems too wide to be a scabbard hook so I'm thinking part of a grappling hook? Musket hook? Tent hook? Cooking hook? Meat hook? Just a hook.....

IMG_2704.jpg IMG_2705.jpg IMG_2706.jpg IMG_2707.jpg IMG_2708.jpg IMG_2709.jpg

Thanks for looking... hopefully the view will be better next week. :unhappysmiley:

Upvote 4

rich f

May 29, 2013
mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice shark hook

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking ice hook. Before the days of the modern refrigerator they use to deliver blocks of ice to stores and houses and they used ice picks like yours to move them around.
ice hook.jpg

ZDD

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say ice hook or maybe a hay hook. Defiantly old nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread