🥇 BANNER SPANISH DUBLOON, COB, and 2 KILLER BUTTONS and MORE!!!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! A great day today at the 1812 fort site! Third day at that site. To date, I had found two British buttons--- one flat, and the other my cherished artillery button with three cannons. Also, tiny musket ball, large half musket ball, and 1787 NJ Copper.
This time around, I hit bank, from within the river bank! I believe the small gold to be a 1/2 escudo, 1783. Extra fine grade I think. A 1731 COB, which I believe is burnt on the side where the cross would be. Makes sense, since the British pilfered the fort and then BURNED IT. So, I guess American money was still at a premium, thus, nothing wrong with good old spanish money. Man, I almost fainted when those fell out the bank....or was it all the gnats biting me. Annoying as hell. Actually, not sure what they were. Little red bite marks all over me. The American Artillery button came out a little later, along with the crusted pocket knife and the hatchet. Wonder if there is any hope for those two items by way of electrolysis? I like the artillery button as much as the coins. Only seen one other like it. The small button came from farther inland, along with the large musket ball. I think the smaller button to be a cuff button. Decent gold gild still on it. Oh, by the way, both buttons have full shanks. This was my best day detecting by far! Would be hard to top it with so few places to hunt down here. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 956
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 637
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 617
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 912
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 888
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 61
OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on one heck of a day afield! You found more goodies in one day than most of us do in years! I'd hit this place some more to see if "John Bull's" boys missed more escudos.HH.....

Oh believe me I will. The Brits, archeologists, and detectorists didn't figure out what I did. After my second hunt I imagined the fort area 200 years ago. It makes sense if you see what I see. There are tough spots to get to I haven't hit. Was too risky and MUDDY. I haven't even searched the muck yet. A lot of no-see-ums and patience every time. I hope I get back there soon. I want to try and make a video next time if I can afford the equipment.

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great.!...... Where were you?, and how do you think your find got there? Study the history and you will find more.

When I joined t-net on New Years I had an offer from someone nearby to go to the site. He hunted it several times, but after going there three times I got more aggressive and it paid off. Check out the article "Battle Of Fort Point Peter" to learn more.

Duke

Jun 11, 2009
Woodstock N.Y.
Detector(s) used
QXT
was the bank you found them in sandy or more clay and rocky and how high up how steep could you please discribe the conditions I always do look in or on banks but there tricky takes skill

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was the bank you found them in sandy or more clay and rocky and how high up how steep could you please discribe the conditions I always do look in or on banks but there tricky takes skill

I would describe it as sand/dirt or just really dry dirt. Keep in mind....this is the front area where the fort used to be. I have figured that SOME of the original land that was encased by the fort has dropped off into the water in the past 200 years. Perhaps during training, from being on the ground and when they fought their last battle there the stuff had to of fallen out their pockets. No way for the Brits to see them, the archeologists didn't think of searching the bank either. It almost looks like a short cliff. Lots of trees and small cactus are growing out of it. There is some walk area which is like sand. All I'm doing is picking the side and top of the cliff. Sometimes straight into the middle portion of the cliff. Lots of burnt shards of junk too. I haven't even searched the muck between the sand and the water yet. I can't wait!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread