Three Civil War Buttons I think

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Wow what a day, a friend got us on a great spot and everything we found was the first in our collection. I believe the one is a South Carolina Civil war button, The other I with the Anchor I would think would be marine, and the other has an eagle on, not sure about that one. The are all very encrusted, and could not read the backs yet. The are coat buttons and the other thing is about the size of a half dollar. Not sure if it was a button but looks like a small plate or something. Any information on any of the items would be appreciated. Also found a few other things that we are not sure what they are and will post them on the what is it section. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    793.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2732.JPG
    IMG_2732.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2723.JPG
    IMG_2723.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 5

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Think you're right on the SC button, lots of crud but the palm tree can still be made out. I think the other two are civilian though. The eagle doesn't look quite right for most of the military buttons I've seen, and the anchor is kinda plain and without some of the other features found on Marine buttons. Could be wrong about that though as I'm not a button guy, but hope the SC button cleans up a little for you.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man how do you describe finds like that . Hope the sc button can be cleaned a little I would try lemon juice diluted with water and a q tip and slowly work the grime and sand from it . It has quite a bit of gilt on it . The floral button is nice and so are the rest . I would try the same on the navy button also.vanzutphen

OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
I forgot to add the three buttons are two piece. Thanks for the cleaning information.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would LOVE to find a SC button. Man, that's a good one . . .

Kmercer87

Sep 5, 2014
Oak Island NC
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesero
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't have my Albert's button book on hand at the moment but I can tell you for sure that three of the four are Civil War era. Obviously one is the SC State Seal. I see there is some gold gilt left on the button. If you ever wanted to clean a button and it still has the gold gilt use what's called Aluminum Jelly. It does wonders but only us it on two piece buttons with the gilt still on. DONT ever use on one piece colonial or 1812 buttons. I had to learn the hard way. The Eagle button is just a general service yankee button. The button with the anchor is a Navy button and I am about 90% sure its yankee as well. If you do not have Albert's Button book you should look into getting it if you like finding buttons. The flower button is beautiful and a lot of times during the revolutionary war they used floral buttons in the navy the distinguish their rank. Certain design patterns are known and can be researched online. Your flower button is so bold and id say it could possibly be one or either just a really fine civilian floral button. Does it have a backmark?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions