Colonial coin, buckle, buttons and what might be a 17th century bandolier cylinder

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My buddy Dan and I finally made it back out again yesterday for only our 2nd hunt together since the end of January. Our first choice of sites was a very promising one that Dan had researched, but it continued to be unavailable after we found out the owner had passed away. So we decided to head back to a site we've hit hard earlier this season, but one that seems to keep producing with each return visit. And it did not disappoint again as we both dug a number of buttons and other colonial artifacts. My best find was another Virginia halfpenny with a nice green patina, my 4th from this site this season. I also found part of a 1600s spectacle buckle, plus this very cool and brightly colored stone that I eyeballed in the corn stalks. It's quite large, and might have been from a pendant. Or maybe it's a recent drop as it kind of looks like one of those mood stones. Anyway, after a few hours there we decided to end the day at another site that has also been good to me with the recovery of the rattlesnake and stars button along with the 17th century sword hilt that was found nearby. We hit the logged area again where we had earlier confirmed the existence of a 1600s site, but the finds there had been few. Hunting it was difficult due to the leftover logging debris, but we did get a few signals. Dan dug a couple keepers before he made the find of the day, but I'll save that story for him to tell. Right after he made that recovery I dug a cool looking, ornate, and cylindrical shaped item that I did not immediately recognize. Dan's first impression was that it might be from an early bandolier, and that seemed to be as good an explanation as any. After further study, I do believe this may indeed be a powder cylinder that was part of a 17th century bandolier. Hopefully someone can confirm. For those of you not familiar with a bandolier, they were worn over the shoulder and across the chest by 17th century musketeers, and 12 metal cylinders (or chargers) dangled from the bandolier. Each contained a powder charge, and they were dubbed "The 12 Apostles". One of the pics below shows several of these powder cylinders that have been recovered at Jamestown. Mine is slightly different and is a little more ornate. There were a number of disadvantages to wearing a bandolier. Safety was a big issue as a lighted match could ignite an open powder cylinder. And the dangling metal cylinders could clang together and alert the enemy of their approach. Hopefully we've correctly ID'd this mystery item, but if not, then at least everyone got a little colonial artifact lesson.

Attachments

• 032115a.jpg
    032115a.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 032115b.jpg
    032115b.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 164
  • 032115c.jpg
    032115c.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 195
  • 032115d.jpg
    032115d.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 189
  • 032115e.jpg
    032115e.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 032115j.jpg
    032115j.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 032115i.jpg
    032115i.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 032115h.jpg
    032115h.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 032115g.jpg
    032115g.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 032115f.jpg
    032115f.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 181
  • bandoliers jamestown.jpg
    bandoliers jamestown.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 21

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice hunt Bill, still trying to picture the bandolier but I will look it up. Congrats on another half penny! Glad you huts were finally able to get out.

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great artefacts Bill.
I have found the charge cylinders here in the UK before and also a similar item to your decorated piece. I believe that my decorated cylindrical item is a riding crop pommel.
I will have to dig them out and do a little research and let you know what I find out.

George...

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update. Bill I just remembered why I believe my decorated piece to be a pommel. When I dug the item it still had remains of a wooden cane in it that led me to ID it as a pommel.
Hope this helps.
George...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if its an old riding crop terminal/handle??

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update. Bill I just remembered why I believe my decorated piece to be a pommel. When I dug the item it still had remains of a wooden cane in it that led me to ID it as a pommel.
Hope this helps.
George...

A pommel is not attached with wood, so that only leaves a riding crop or a swagger stick or other terminal to a ??

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds.congrats on the half penny.I like the design on those buttons.See you even found what looks like a Marrow Mountain point.Middle Archaic period,7,000-5,ooo B.C.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool finds. I'm going with swagger stick. A fried found one of these and its still got the wood piece inside.

A swagger stick is a great guess, but all the ones I've seen online have rounded, smooth ends. Mine has a protrusion which, if this is actually a powder cylinder, might be where it attached to the bandolier. But then again, the ornate design would lend itself more to a swagger stick than a charger cylinder. The ones I posted from Jamestown were all quite plain.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn bill those are some great finds, looks like your plan b spot was still producing, wierd how that works out sometimes ain't it?

Congrats, thanks for another great post

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job Bill.
Knowing you only had two hunts in a month, I don't feel quite so bad. Although looking out the window it is hard not too feel bad.

I'd be quite happy to get a state copper.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you are getting out Bill. Right now I would pay $50 for a misquote bite.
Some nice recoveries in that bunch.
ZDD

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parasol Handle terminal? Would fit the evidence of wood in Limey-diggers example and they look like they often had a protrusion on the end

There's an example part way down this page that someone intends to repurpose as a crop handle which looks somewhat like yours although the protrusion is less prominent

Riding Aside: May 2009

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no doubt about it, you're the VA halfpenny king Bill!! Awesome finds and I hope you can identify both the cylinder and that cool mood stone thingy. Do you think there would be a lot more finds there if the logging debris was gone? So far it's been a really special site.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There's no doubt about it, you're the VA halfpenny king Bill!! Awesome finds and I hope you can identify both the cylinder and that cool mood stone thingy. Do you think there would be a lot more finds there if the logging debris was gone? So far it's been a really special site.

I don't know about a lot more, but Dan and I both feel something special is hiding beneath the debris somewhere, maybe a hammered coin. But I doubt we'll ever be able to get to it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you got out buddy. For so few hints you have certainly pulled out some pretty unique items this season bud. Love the patina on the Va

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there and hope you have continued success this year!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parasol Handle terminal? Would fit the evidence of wood in Limey-diggers example and they look like they often had a protrusion on the end

There's an example part way down this page that someone intends to repurpose as a crop handle which looks somewhat like yours although the protrusion is less prominent

Riding Aside: May 2009

Another good option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread