Water Leak And an Old Milk Bottle (Need Some INFO)

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that Winter is coming to a close, it's time to repair mother nature's damages. When the temperatures in my area fell to a record low for late January of -22 degrees for two straight days, I of course, had frozen water lines under the house. Once they thawed, you guessed it, they busted. So, the first chance I had to work on them was yesterday and after nearly five hours worth of work, still no water because of more breaks. Anyways, while under my house, which is very old by the way, I had to remove A LOT of broken glass to be able to lie on the ground to do some repairs. While moving the glass, I seen the lip of an old bottle that appeared to be intact.

Once I carefully dug around it, it came free and I could tell that it was an old milk bottle, my first to be exact.

I need some help with this bottle as I can't seem to find any info at all on the bottle or the company. The bad part, I live 15 minutes away from Raceland. Yes, I know I can go to the local library, but I figured I would check with you guys first as there are a lot of informative readers on here. So any help AT ALL on this bottle would be great. Info like Age, Price, and Rarity.

Thanks in advance....

20150325_195144.jpg

Upvote 2

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Cursory search yielded the following educated guesses:

First, the "Pure Milk Company" was all over the place in the early 20th century. Seems like every little to midsize town in Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee had the <insert your town name here> Pure Milk Company. I liken it to Coca Cola distributors who all had bottles and crates with the well known Coca Cola script but their town embossed as well. Raceland, KY was just one of many that had such a bottle design. I see that Fulton, KY and Portsmouth, OH (not too far from you) also had Pure Milk Companies.

Second, based on other towns that had a Pure Milk Company and had a bottle design like yours with the One Pint Liquid and the round embossed logo with town and milk company that it was made in the 1920s/30s and is fairly scare. Possibly $50 retail.

Third, the term "Pure Milk Company" and the fact every little town seemed to have a company with that name lead me to make two assertions: 1) Government regulation in the early 20th century required milk to be "guaranteed" PURE or else they could not legally sell it nor put it on their bottles and 2) this is a real stretch but there is a biblical passage in 1 Peter that talks about babies having desire for "the pure milk of the Word". Maybe this played a role in these smaller towns in naming their companies and relating them to bible passages as many of their customers were church going members too...just a thought.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Great find!
-Hunter

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Thanks for all the info, that's beyond helpful. I'm not real sure why I can never find the information like you guys can find on the internet.

Thanks again...

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you found something for your troubles. It don't get much more miserable than fixing busted lines under the house. Might want to do a good crawl-through in warmer weather when things dry out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread