Finally found Roman :)

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally after all my hunting and drooling over other peoples finds I finally found what I have been hunting for and killed two birds with one stone as its the particular find I have been wanting, but I will get to that. First off we were near a roman site here in Scotland which helps. Not a bad day with plenty of finds including a silver hat trick with a flat silver piece , a love token, and a 1800s silver coin. Found a bunch of hammered scottish copper coins including a William and Mary copper with good detail as the hammered coppers don't usually have detail and the William and Mary ones don't usually come up that often . The best coin of the day was my James II gun money. These are quite rare to get and with detail even rarer and mine I can identify the month it was made :headbang: if your not familiar with gun money as I am sure most of you are not , they were currency produced by James II and were designed to be redeemed for silver coinage should he proceed with a victory and claim his throne. They were minted from brass, copper, or pewter with the brass from melted down guns and church bells . Long story short he never reclaimed his throne and the coins were lost for the most part. They didn't produce that many so thats what makes them not super rare but rarer then most copper or brass coinage.

But the icing on the cake was my roman gaming piece or as you can see a dice piece :laughing7: I have heard of these and seen pictures of them but never thought I would ever find one. A roman dice, a brooch, and a silver denarius are all on my bucket list for roman artifacts and I can't believe I got the dice! As soon as I saw it I knew what it was and I swear I did a happy dance in the middle of the field. Normally its almost impossible to find roman up in Scotland most of that stuff is down south in England, but two other brooches came up besides my dice. I need to go back and hammer the area maybe I can get my brooch :laughing7: Anyways thanks for taking the time to read and look just wanted to share that detecting miracles do happen and lady luck must have had the hots for me during that dig :laughing7

Attachments

• finds.JPG
    finds.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Gunmoney.JPG
    Gunmoney.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Hammeredcoppers.JPG
    Hammeredcoppers.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Romandice1.JPG
    Romandice1.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Romandice2.JPG
    Romandice2.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 10

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good finds for that far north, may I ask were in Scotland :dontknow:Never had a gun money piece...great finds.:thumbsup:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, I've only got a couple of Gun Money coins & I was lucky to have them in fair condition.

To aim for a Roman Dice & get one is a little crazy, the closest I have come is a couple of lead versions with no numbers (blanks). That bronze one would be a first for me as well, but I am targetting rural homesteads & not a Roman Military sites which is where they are more likely. They were pretty bored up there...lol

Hunting hunting for the Fibula.

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up near St.Andrews. Thanks! I wasn't specifically looking for the gaming piece when I was hunting this site I was just hoping to get one at some point in my detecting career it just came earlier then I thought!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up near St.Andrews. Thanks! I wasn't specifically looking for the gaming piece when I was hunting this site I was just hoping to get one at some point in my detecting career it just came earlier then I thought!

Thats what I meant, I may never get one like it in my whole career. I've done 25+ years with none like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread