Pounded Civil War Era Plantation - Surprise!

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been try to gain access to a well known historic property down in Eastern NC for a while now. I finally had a chance during a trip to visit family last week. Nowadays the property displays a long abandoned mid 1800s home. The significance of this plantation stretches through both the Revolutionary War and Civil War. This property was part of the original Hull Road cut by General Hull in the march of the British Army through eastern NC during the Revolutionary War. As for the Civil War, it's most notable due to an exchange that occurred with Union General Potter. Potter's men stopped here to rest and to confiscate a couple of horse from a local Unionist. Although this was a place the Union army rested that day, skirmishes were documented in this area too.

Three hours into my hunt I accepted the fact that this place had been pounded. All I had in my pouch was a flat button, 1940 wheat, and a pile of slaw, all of which were found way early in the hunt. With auto pilot fully kicked in, I'm sure looked like a zombie out there. Somebody reading this knows about auto pilot - all signals start to sound the same and you don't really feel like getting down on the ground anymore. Anyways, I got a loud deep signal and decided it's been a while since I dug a whole aluminum can, so why not, I'll dig one more. It wasn't a can, but appeared to be another large piece of plough point. I placed my shovel under the edge of the piece of iron and attempted to break the mud suction, just as I usually do with large flat iron. Well, this time was different. Instead of the noise of suction breaking, the whole piece of iron rotated in place. There was only a couple of things i could think of that where circular, heavy, and rusting like crazy. To be sure the individuals who pounded this civil war era property didn't leave behind a cannonball?? It looks like they did indeed :)

After quite a bit of back and forth in the "what is it" forum, it turns out that this cast-iron ball does meet the specs of a Civil War 12 pound solid shot.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427423179.826064.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427423206.959990.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427423227.795985.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427423250.264125.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427423270.982454.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427423295.785134.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427423312.355616.jpg

Upvote 10

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save. Don't ya just love those Southern cans?

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's awesome a true piece of history. Do you find many bullets.

OP
OP
Keith123

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome a true piece of history. Do you find many bullets.

No, never found a three ringer at all. I mostly hunt in New England.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted out , yeah right .. uh huh .. I luv it when I am told that this place has pounded to death by the best , lol :laughing7:
no greater myth and imo these "hunted out" places are even more fun than a sterile site because they offer a challenge of personal skill .
Your cannon ball is the proof of the good stuff still left hiding . That site has a great potential to produce some nice keepers.

Good day !

DawG

OP
OP
Keith123

Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted out , yeah right .. uh huh .. I luv it when I am told that this place has pounded to death by the best , lol :laughing7:
no greater myth and imo these "hunted out" places are even more fun than a sterile site because they offer a challenge of personal skill .
Your cannon ball is the proof of the good stuff still left hiding . That site has a great potential to produce some nice keepers.

Good day !

DawG

My definition of "pounded" is somebody managed to dig most of the shallow nonferrous targets (coins & buttons), or the easy pickens. There is just no way that after 200 years of activity people managed to avoid dropping one coin. As far as "sterile" or "hunted out" places, I agree that there is no such thing.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the cannonball. I'm sure many detectors passed over that thinking it was just more iron trash. Sounds like you were detecting near my hometown - Kinston. That house even looks familiar. Is it on Hwy 11?

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now THAT is cool! How deep and what machine if you don't mind . . . ?

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sitting here wondering why when i get a hit like and that deep it ALWAYS ends up being a cast iron pipe...doh !!!

maybe just one time it'll be a cannon ball....maybe.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That place just looks like relic heaven. Now you have the centerpiece to your display...I hope all the pieces to fill in around it come soon. Great pics.

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cannonball is always a nice find well done!!!!!

RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread