1844 Silver Seated Quarter found today.....on a brief hunt with my Whites MX5

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the very small park in SW Georgia where I found a 1945 mercury dime last week. Just found a few minutes ago and took pictures as they came out of the ground. It was only 5 inches deep. So will use only some water to clean the 1844. My first seated coin this year......I hope it is a good sign for the rest of 2015.....Thanks for looking.

001.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

HH
Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 25

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Very nice congrats to you:occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna guess that the blips on the reverse are a result of heat blistering - perhaps a house fire happened at some point .
This effect on the one side only, would I think be consistent with the reverse being in contact with higher direct heat . Nice !

Last edited:

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful coin - congrats. That, mixed in with the clad quarters, who'd have thunk it?

OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful coin - congrats. That, mixed in with the clad quarters, who'd have thunk it?
Thanks......the first picture of all the coins were what I found during that days brief hunt, while running only VID 70-90 notched in, using extreme high discrimination, which I call Stage 1 hunting....so...1st I found a clad quarter in the park.....2nd I hit a clad dime.....then 3rd, 2 steps from a large tree in the park, I got a mixed signal, but the high tone was coming thru also showing about 5 inches.....so I plugged the hole and reached in and saw a very old short rusty corroded nail.....so I wasn't sure, and scanned it across my loop, but it didn't sound off.....so took my detector and ran back over the hole.....and, then got a strong solid 83-84 VDI hit.....reached in and out pops the 1844 seated quarter, my 1st seated for 2015. The Whites MX5 fast recovery, using the standard 9-inch coil, sorts out iron trash very, very well.....Thanks for looking.

HH
Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
wlb42

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice piece Bill,hope you find her sisters too! HH.....

Thanks for looking.......I did a Follow-up hunt today back to the same location........worked hard to grid all around the area where I found the 1844 quarter......but no luck......thought everyone might like a report.....Yes, I did find 4 more clad quarters, 9 clad dimes & 9 cents......but no other silver.....however, I will go back another day.....and did get a detecting permisson today for a home & 1/2 acre corner lot directly across the street from this site, so will let you know results, after I search this site next week......Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for your looking & comments

HH
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread