Yesterdays monsoon finds with Bill and visiting Evan...another colonial coin!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's monsoon finds with Bill and visiting Evan...another colonial coin!!

I managed to get some time to break away from the office yesterday and go figure...a monsoon decided to set in.

The early part of the day was just simply pouring rain, but with Evan visiting from out west, we (well he and I) braved the elements and soggy fields to do some digging. We decided to hit a spot that has been steadily producing, even when at times it does not feel it is, the finds always seem to add up.

I ended the day with 17 various buttons, all 1700s-early 1800s. I also managed a couple of thimbles and plenty of buckle pieces, whole buckles and a neat little complete one. I even managed a nice little broken native american point. My best find of the day was the worn VA half penny. I thought that I was doing pretty good at this point, then Bill decided to come out of the truck...I mean hiding...and well you will see what he found.

All in all it was a fun day, the relics were steadily coming. I even managed to find part of an early marked plate that I found during an earlier trip. What do you guys/gals think? Is it a match?

We finished the day at a site that has produced a good amount for Bill and I. I know that there certainly are pits to be found there and I did manage to find a shallow one. It produced a couple of pipe stems, some broken bottles and a tack or two.The best find from it was a nice Barrel Lock that will be cleaned and posted.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 125
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    511.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    559.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    453.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright:It was nice of Bill to give you 2 a head start! Very nice group of finds Dan. You can't complain about those at all. I'd love to find that many buttons in one hunt.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I like my new hunting strategy - just lounge around in the truck while you guys get soaked and wear yourselves out, then jump out fresh and motivated and head right to the silver ... lol! Actually, I just don't want to get my whimpy butt wet (unless you guys are out there digging silver).

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I like my new hunting strategy - just lounge around in the truck while you guys get soaked and wear yourselves out, then jump out fresh and motivated and head right to the silver ... lol! Actually, I just don't want to get my whimpy butt wet (unless you guys are out there digging silver).

ha ha give yourself more credit...hey I like my copper...I worked for it ha ha

Keep in mind, I have had a three silver day before....I'm coming!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I'm just picturing Bill looking out from his warm truck at the site. Then zoning in on a spot and saying "yup there's Spanish silver right there, I can sense it". Hopping out, walking over, turning on his machine, digging one signal, then hopping back in the truck. Is this like an old bull and young bull story lol

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I'm just picturing Bill looking out from his warm truck at the site. Then zoning in on a spot and saying "yup there's Spanish silver right there, I can sense it". Hopping out, walking over, turning on his machine, digging one signal, then hopping back in the truck. Is this like an old bull and young bull story lol

ehhh not quite ha ha. Sometimes we just have it and other times we don't. I sadly have not had it for so long that even though I have dug colonial coins 2 of the last 3 hunts it feels as if I am still in a rut ha ha.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good digs Dan, Got a little bit of everything. Nice of ya to leave the Silver for Bill. lol

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ehhh not quite ha ha. Sometimes we just have it and other times we don't. I sadly have not had it for so long that even though I have dug colonial coins 2 of the last 3 hunts it feels as if I am still in a rut ha ha.

People would kill to be in the "ruts" you guys get in. Nice to see you posting again

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Dan. What do you think that plate was? Was it militia?

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Dan, you think bill would trade that nice reale he found for a comparable amount of your coppers? hehe..
Nice finds, I especially like the very thin, tiny buckle.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan, you think bill would trade that nice reale he found for a comparable amount of your coppers? hehe..
Nice finds, I especially like the very thin, tiny buckle.
Who knows....obviously not this year as those two put him 3 up on our little competition (he was only 1 up going into the day). Last year I won by 2 and it looks as if this year is his.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt! Congratulations.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Dan, is the name "Ross" anyone near your site? That script is certainly colonial. Be interesting to think the family was represented in the area since that period. Those personal items are the cool items I would like to find. Congrats.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
You killed us on the buttons Dan. Nice hunting with you and I appreciate the invite. Congrats on another half penny, never get tired of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread